plant markers

flowercelJune 14, 2002

I am interested in seeing everyone's clever plant markers. I am thinking of making some for family gifts and need ideas. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CrazeeMoi

Hello....I haven't made any...however I hope to make some and I did a search to get ideas. Here is one site to get you started....might give you some ideas. Then do a search..... plant pokes or garden stakes or plant markers etc

Here is a link that might be useful: plant pokes

Bookmark   June 21, 2002 at 12:24AM
Sunny_Sky(Zone 4 - Desert Climate)

Here's what I like to do for markers:

I take a paint-stirrer stick and glue it inside an empty seed package. Then I take it to Kinko's and have them laminate the seed packet with plastic. After that, my new marker is ready to stick in the ground, the paint stick is long and lets me adjust the height as I desire. Some of the seed packages are works of art. Yesterday, I got a handful of beautifully illustrated seeds for only 6 cents a pack (at Menards).

Bookmark   June 21, 2002 at 9:08AM
breathe

I saw something, it was really beautiful. Someone had taken some copper sheet and cut a 'plaque' outline out and then used a sharp object of some kind to poke bumps into it, making a design. I think she used a pen to write the plant name in the center. Just darling and of course they won't fade or wash out. I believe she said the pattern/directions came from a book called Simple Wire & Metal Style. Gotta get me a copy!

Bookmark   June 24, 2002 at 10:32PM
FlwrLdy52(z7a)

They aren't particularly lovely, but they work well until lovely ones come along: Use vinyl miniblind or regular sized blind slats. They cut easily with sissors, so you can make them any length or width. Write on them with pencil; it won't fade.

Bookmark   July 1, 2002 at 12:34AM
maders(Zone 7)

what drill bit thingy do you use on the dremel tool to etch names into wood? I've tried a couple and no luck.

Bookmark   July 1, 2002 at 3:56PM
sunrisegirl(8a East Tx)

I have wondered if you could use sculpy to make the sign and put it on a stick/wire...I haven't tried it but I keep thinking about it :-)

Bookmark   July 1, 2002 at 8:59PM
LoriJean(z5OH)

Broken terracotta pots make attractive plant markers. Use marker to write plant name on large pieces. Place the pieces next to the plant.

Bookmark   July 15, 2002 at 8:19AM
nancelee

I love to use old flatware picked up at thrift shops. Write the name of the plant on with a sharpie perm. marker. The knives are especially nice. You can decorate them with fine silver wire, charms, and flat marbles glued on, etc. This makes a great gift and also adds interest to the garden. nancelee

Bookmark   July 30, 2002 at 1:05PM
dian57(M-H Valley NY-5)

I collect rocks from the beach and paint plant names on them with craft paint. 2-3 coats of exterior polyurethane (both sides) and they last for years.

Bookmark   August 3, 2003 at 8:48AM
jeepbttrfly(zone 5/6 PA)

A quick way to make any of your plant markers stand out is to use transfer rub-ons. I decorated sets of those mini-blind cut out tags with grape and violet rub-ons. They turned out great. It's just that little extra that makes them look like plant markers instead of just mini-blinds cut up. ;0)

Bookmark   November 21, 2003 at 9:12AM
buffy690(z7 S. CAROLINA)

This is an oldie but, I save popsicle sticks and write on them with perm. marker. I have also taken a fork and bent the tines you can create a hanger or slide a seed packet in between.

Bookmark   July 23, 2004 at 12:57AM
lovetocook_andeat

These unique plant markers and garden decor stakes are great to use. They have bunnies, watering cans, flowers, pumpkins, tulips, birdhouses and more to choose from. See link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Unique Plant Markers

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Bird Seed Ornaments
I made 2 batches of bird seed ornaments this weekend....
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
Need bird bath ideas
I want to create unique bird baths. Any ideas? thanks...
melissad
Soup Can Label
I found a get well soup can label on a web search that...
JacobyLucy
HGTV is closing on Nov. 4th
They are looking for a new place to "meet"...
grandma_bonnie
betta fish
I am new to betta fish. I have two large vases with...
Revelbioinvestigator
Sponsored Products
Jaipur Notion Delia Area Rug - RUG110119
$132.00 | Hayneedle
Ivy Ball on Stem in Red Tin with Bow
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Fosters Point Vase With Orchid And Foxtail Ball
Beyond Stores
Jaipur Metro Zephy Area Rug - RUG110438
$183.00 | Hayneedle
Treated Pine Springfield Arbor
Fifthroom.com