Stepping Stone Questions

CapeHeart(z6ccMA)June 9, 2005

Hello

We have always wanted to make stepping stones and last week we finally did for our beloved dog's memory garden. I pick up a kit and extra plastic forms (easy way but expensive to me!). I know I have seen somewhere on the forum where

1. Someone made their own forms

2. Can you use the quick cement at the dept stores (at the craft stores the cement is very expensive and only allows you to make either one or two stones.

Someone made their own mixture including adding color to the cement

3. Best protective sealer you use (I got a mosaic sealer since it was with the kit) plus we used old tiles, stones, shells, etc.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!

Chantel :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dian57(M-H Valley NY-5)

Try the Hypertufa or Stained Glass and Mosaic forums. Tons of creative people and great ideas in each.

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 6:03AM
Mandyvilla(7a No.VA)

I took a short cut. I purchased already made round cement stones and used tile adhesive and grout between the tiles. After they were dry, I used a grout sealer. These stones are 3 years old this summer. Suz

and this one

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 9:04AM
Judygardengal(ny)

I have made stepping stones using the big bag of cement mix that you would buy in a home store...I think it costs about 4.00 and i made at least 5 stones from each bag
I bought colors to add to the cement from a craft store and bought different molds at about 4 dollars each.
I also got alphabet letters that you can stamp any words into the stone. (only problem was that I developed a sore arm from stirring the cement that summer!!! haha )

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 9:04PM
kcsunflower(ohio)

Judy,
What kind of cement? I would like to color it so what kind of coloring do you get from craft store? Sorry newbie to this type of masonry. I have built a fire pit out of brick and mortar a couple years ago...and that was quite a project..my daughter helped..It hasnt had a fire this year but...we will probably use it in the fall.
Thanks...Karen

Bookmark   July 20, 2005 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
betta fish
I am new to betta fish. I have two large vases with...
Revelbioinvestigator
Need Gourd Painter
Looking for someone to paint on gourds. Will trade...
gourdgeous
anyone know how to make plastic spoon roses
hello would like some info on how to make plastic spoon...
zinnia_blooms
How to grow the Petrea volubilis
Do you know how to grow the Queen's Wreath Petrea volubilis...
perezjuanf
4in Plastic Seed Pot Ideas?
Hi there! Earlier today I went and picked up 4(!!!)...
juliemaye
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™