concrete mushrooms

tlb2005July 31, 2007

Not sure if this is the correct forum.....sorry if it is not......

I think I might try to make these but I need to know what types of bowls would be better to use. Plastic, metal, or what??

After is has dried, does the concrete just "pop out" of the bowl? Should I do something to prepare the bowl first?

Can I use styrofoam cups for the stems?

What kind of concrete to use? Kwikcrete?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cammiepaul(Zone 7 - Wellford, SC)

I have been looking and studying this website (garden junk  hypertufa-etc.) for a while, taking in all of the information that I could find.
I have now took up mushroom making, while IÂm not an expert on this or anything I will tell you what I have tried and what I like best. And mind you that I am cheap, and try to do this with a lot less effort or money.

1. I like plastic the best of all; itÂs easy to use and easy to clean up.

2. IÂve read to use PAM, armorall, Vaseline, and others as a release agent. I used PAM for a while, and it works well, but it is to pricy to spray on plastic. I tried the off brand from the Dollar Tree and it was just a big mess. I have now taken cooking oil and put it in a spray bottle, and it works fine.

3. I do not know if Styrofoam will work. I went to the flea market and purchased some plastic cups (Hardees, Burger King, and McDonalds) from a vendor for about 2 bucks for 30. You will need to spray them also. Note: Do not fill the all of the way up. I leave about ¼ to ½ of an inch at the top. I leave it 24 hours and the turn upside down and hit it on the table and it slides right out.

4. As I said earlier I am cheap and I also have a little streak of lazy, so to make things simple I purchased the "sand / topping mix", and it is made by quikrete. The sand / topping mix already has the sand and Portland mixed together. I also purchased a bag of vermiculite. My recipe that I use is 1 to 1. Add enough water to hold together, but not make it runny and you are all set to go.

I have made about 20 mushrooms so far and everything works out fine. The more you do the more comfortable you will be with it. I hope this helps.

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Need Gourd Painter
Looking for someone to paint on gourds. Will trade...
gourdgeous
? about making gazing balls...
When you make gazing balls using bowling balls and gluing...
Jude_KS
Need bird bath ideas
I want to create unique bird baths. Any ideas? thanks...
melissad
Guess what this are
Can you guess what these are? Excuse my language I...
hementia8
Terracotta pots stuck together
I have two large tarracotta pots that have become stuck...
thumpergirl
Sponsored Products
BEGA | LED Garden and Pathway Bollard - 7265/7266
$467.00 | YLighting
Aplomb Pendant by Foscarini
$805.00 | Lumens
Cemented Salt Cellar and Spoon
$48.99 | Dot & Bo
Mushroom Table Lamp in White
$139.00 | LexMod
Plywood Mushroom Shade Pendant Light
ParrotUncle