pattern for metal garden spinner

linnea56(z5 IL)July 18, 2006

Does anyone know where to find a pattern for this? I'd like to make one of those metal yard art spinners. I have not seen one except in pictures so can't figure out a pattern. I know it's made by taking a circle of thin copper and cutting some kind of compound spiral into it, then pulling it apart to "expand" the metal. I don't mean the kind that ends up looking like a corkscrew, nor the one that is concentric circles. The one I want looks like a sphere in outline, except you see "S" shaped metal strips connected to the top and bottom.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momamamo

Hi there. Google "wind spinners" and you might find your answer. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 5, 2006 at 6:55PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

I did google it. Lots of places to BUY one, but still no clue as to where to find a pattern to MAKE one. I need to know what kind of cuts to make to have it open up into a sphere. I've been playing around with designs, but it's trial and error. Since I've seen the exact same item, as far as design is concerned, offered by numerous companies, there must be a pattern out there.

Bookmark   September 5, 2006 at 8:50PM
momamamo

I agree. Someone can help you somehow. I did some more googling on your behalf, but found nothing. It occurs to me this morning that you should ask your question in Garden Junk. I looked at that forum and they're into sharing ideas, etc. Good luck! Maureen

Bookmark   September 6, 2006 at 6:27AM
linnea56(z5 IL)

It was very kind of you to make the effort. You see what I mean, though: 10-15 pages of google hits, and no patterns! I had this idea back in July. and yours was the first response. I posted on other forums, including metalworking, with no results so far.

I don't remember if I tried Garden Junk, I'll go check. Thank you for trying.

Bookmark   September 6, 2006 at 11:23AM
louisewilson

IF YOU FIND A PATTERN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I AM AS INTERESTED IN FINDING ONE AS YOU ARE. THANKS SO MUCH, AS ALWAYS, Louise

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 12:48AM
slowlane(7)

Just happened to be browsing by and noticed this thread. Google "How to make wind spinners." When I tried it, I got tons of good results :)

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
betta fish
I am new to betta fish. I have two large vases with...
Revelbioinvestigator
Homemade bird seed cakes
got inspired by an email from Burpee Seeds showing...
DrFruitCake
planted flower in garden.
today i planted a different types of flower in my garden...
john_31
preserving large amaryllis flowers,=how?
Where can I learn to preserve not press large amaryllis...
amaryllisstudygroup
Painted & Sealed Terra Cotta pots not drying
Ok, so I painted some terra Cotta pots(picture), used...
Noteybook
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™