Job's Tears Q's

gemini_jim(7 MD)August 10, 2007

Hello all,

I'm growing Job's Tears (Coix lacryma-jobi) for the first time this year and had a couple questions.

I don't know if this is the right forum for these questions, but since they are destined for crafts (gourd rattles mostly), I thought I'd try here first.

1) The seeds are maturing in different colors, mostly falling into two groups: green to yellow to white; and green to ebony to milky-blue. Am I right in my suspicion that the white seeds are mostly infertile duds? They seem less dense than the blue ones.

2) Has anyone in zones 7 or 8 (esp. East Coast) tried to overwinter these plants in the ground? If so, how did you protect them, and how successful were you? Since davesgarden lists them as hardy to zone 9a I think it's worth a try.

TIA,

Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Josh(z8a)

Jim, I've only grown a few in a large pot and not sure which if any color may be infertile since I didn't keep records. As to hardiness, mine didn't return by April so I planted new seeds, but it may have been that they had less protection from cold in container than in the ground. My limited growing experience is not much help to you, but wanted to ask if you'd seen this article? Good luck with your gourds. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Job's Tears

Bookmark   August 22, 2007 at 5:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gemini_jim(7 MD)

Josh,

Thanks for the link! I figured I would need to cut them back and heavily mulch them to have any chance for winter survival. Some folks around here do that with palms and bananas, so I figured why not. If it doesn't work I can always plant seeds. But if it does work I'm hoping the plants will be bigger and earlier with more seeds next year...

Jim

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 10:41PM
More Discussions
Painted & Sealed Terra Cotta pots not drying
Ok, so I painted some terra Cotta pots(picture), used...
Noteybook
Need bird bath ideas
I want to create unique bird baths. Any ideas? thanks...
melissad
How to grow the Petrea volubilis
Do you know how to grow the Queen's Wreath Petrea volubilis...
perezjuanf
? about making gazing balls...
When you make gazing balls using bowling balls and gluing...
Jude_KS
Flower Pot Hangers
This is such a fun project. I macrame all sorts of...
Dani74
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™