bird seed wreaths

vignewood(z6 CT)October 21, 2007

Hi, I have been making bird seed wreaths to use as gifts this holiday season. I found the recipe in a garden web thread and it worked very well. Here is my question to any of you who have used these. Do they hold up outside in the rain? Do they make a mess if hung on a door? Where is the best place to hang them? They are very pretty and inexpensive to make even though they are pricey in the shops. Any info you can give me will be much appreciated. vignewood.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amyevt

I am trying to find the recipe to make birdseed wreaths with gelatine with my kids as holiday gifts. Does anyone have the recipe?

Bookmark   November 19, 2007 at 9:06AM
vignewood(z6 CT)

Here is the recipe. Make sure you dry them out well and don't leave them in the molds too long or they will MOLD. Store in paper bags.

Birdseed Wreath

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups water
4 1/4 ounce pkgs. Knox unflavored gelatin
8 cups birdseed

Boil 1 1/2 cup water.
Empty the 4 packages of gelatin into 8 tablespoons of cold water in a large bowl. Let the gelatin sit for 1 minute.
Add the boiling water and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until the gelatin has dissolved.
Stir 8 cups of birdseed into the gelatin, mixing thoroughly.
Let the mixture set for a few minutes, then stir again. Repeat this process a few times allowing the seed to absorb the liquid.
Spoon the mixture into a greased bundt pan and put in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
Remove the wreath from the mold by inverting the pan and tapping along the bottom. The pan may need to warm to room temperature before the wreath will come out.
Allow the wreath to dry overnight or longer if necessary. (I found it needs to be on a cooling rack to let the air circulate.)
Use several strands of raffia to form a loop to hang the wreath.

Bookmark   November 19, 2007 at 12:42PM
robinmadison(5)

Birdseed Wreath

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups water
4 1/4 ounce pkgs. Knox unflavored gelatin
8 cups birdseed
1/8 cup flour

Boil 1 1/2 cup water.
Empty the 4 packages of gelatin into 8 tablespoons of cold water in a large bowl. Let the gelatin sit for 1 minute.
Add the boiling water and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until the gelatin has dissolved.
Stir 8 cups of birdseed into the gelatin, mixing thoroughly.
Let the mixture set for a few minutes, then stir again. Repeat this process a few times allowing the seed to absorb the liquid. Add flour to thicken,
Scoop the mixture with your hands and press into grape vine wreath. Decorate with ribbon and cranberries.
Allow the wreath to dry overnight outside laying flat.
Use several strands of raffia to form a loop to hang the wreath.

PS Keep outside in the cold weather. If you are in a warmer climate...add elmer's glue to mixture.

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 8:47PM
slogardener123

No birds are coming to my wreath-it has been up for several weeks. Any suggestions? It has a red bow on it. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdseed wreaths

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Flower Pot Hangers
This is such a fun project. I macrame all sorts of...
Dani74
Homemade bird seed cakes
got inspired by an email from Burpee Seeds showing...
DrFruitCake
Marigolds
I have a question on blooming. What conditions have...
eugeneb4
Bird Seed Ornaments
I made 2 batches of bird seed ornaments this weekend....
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
planted flower in garden.
today i planted a different types of flower in my garden...
john_31
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™