Holiday angel

penny1947(z6 WNY)November 13, 2003

I found a craft in my latest issue of Lowe's Creative Ideas booklet that you can use maple seeds for!!! I have adapted the directions as their instructions were rather lengthy and used materials that they sell.

It is an angel made out of sisal (or any kind of cording that is glued and wrapped around a wooden armiture to form a cone (I decided a styrofoam cone would work better). I also think that gold plastic canvas cord would look good for wrapping the cone. Wood veneer is used for the wings but I thought the the maple seed whirligigs would be perfect for wings (cut at the base of the seed so you have two pieces). They would give it that feathery look. Cut out a piece of poster board in the shape of the wings. Start at the points and glue them and layer them all the way to the center point of the poster board wings. Then you would pin or glue the wings to the back of the cone. The halo/head is made of copper wire shaped to form a circle and the ends poked into the top of the cone. You would glue the angel to a round wood cutout available at most craft stores for less than a dollar. Here is a picture but use the link below if it doesn't show up. You could even use left over lace instead of the cording to wrap the cone. You could also make the cone out of poster board and use it as a tree topper.

Now that I have all my whirlygigs raked up I find a use for them...go figure.

Penny

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enchantedplace

very creative!

Bookmark   November 14, 2003 at 2:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

It may also be something good to let the kids help with. They can make their own special ornament. I was at A.C. Moore yesterday picking up some sweatshirts and t shirts and I started thinking about letting my stepdaughter make some. Instead of copper wire for the head, you could let children use the gold or silver chenille stems (pipe cleaners) or use a wooden bead with a small piece of dowel in the hole stuck down into the top of the cone and glued in place. If you have any left over wall paper around, you could use that for the cone. I would put two layers together to make it sturdier. If you don't have maple seeds, you can use feathers sold in craft dept. for about a dollar a package. THis could keep the kids busy for quite a while especially on days when it is too cold or nasty to go outside and they say they have nothing to do.
Penny

Bookmark   November 15, 2003 at 6:36AM
More Discussions
anyone need any nice used horse shoes?
My husband shoes horses for a living and if you need...
ladybugmama
Soup Can Label
I found a get well soup can label on a web search that...
JacobyLucy
Guess what this are
Can you guess what these are? Excuse my language I...
hementia8
Bird Seed Ornaments
I made 2 batches of bird seed ornaments this weekend....
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
How to grow the Petrea volubilis
Do you know how to grow the Queen's Wreath Petrea volubilis...
perezjuanf
Sponsored Products
Mini Faux Mink Stocking
Grandin Road
Mix & Serve Bamboo Bowl - Pumpkin
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Reindeer Bell D├ęcor
$8.99 | zulily
Warehouse of Tiffany Lamps 72 in. Antique Bronze Angelic Stained Glass Floor
Home Depot
Rodeo Drive Black and Tan Rectangle: 5 Ft. In. x 8 Ft. In. Area Rug
$240.95 | Bellacor