Flowers in epoxy

rini(Rochester, NY)November 17, 2003

I went to a jewelry exhibit and one artist had created pendants, necklaces, etc. using flowers in epoxy. One of the things that really struck me is how vibrant the flower colors looked. I initially thought that you would have to dry the flowers first to then be able to put epoxy over it but now I'm wondering if you could do it over non-dried flowers.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this or have any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhine59(5 WI)

I tried it last sping with some columbines and tulips. I didnt use epoxy but a product called Eniro-tek Lite which is a laquer. After numerous coats they looked great, almost like a flower encased in glass. They lasted about a week and then the moisture in the flowers started to mold and the petals turned brown. I have since tried it with dried strawflowers and they still look great about 3 months later. So just from one persons experience, dried flowers are the way to go.

Bookmark   November 18, 2003 at 12:07AM
rini(Rochester, NY)

rhine59-

Thanks for letting me know. I was curious if the fresh flowers would mold or not.

Do your dried flowers keep their color? I grew Playboy roses this year and their colors are spectacular. I tried to dry them and they looked -- not so great. I just did a basic flower between books approach and am wondering if a different approach would work better.

Rini

Bookmark   November 19, 2003 at 2:32PM
rhine59(5 WI)

I put mine in a food dehydrator and some work while others don't. All of my strawflowers look great but I tried a dahlia and a zinnia and they came out terrible. It seems that whichever flowers are good for natural drying are the only ones that work good.

Bookmark   November 21, 2003 at 11:05PM
More Discussions
HGTV is closing on Nov. 4th
They are looking for a new place to "meet"...
grandma_bonnie
4in Plastic Seed Pot Ideas?
Hi there! Earlier today I went and picked up 4(!!!)...
juliemaye
stepping stones
Does anywho know what is a good pre-mixed bag of cement...
gardengirl_tx
preserving large amaryllis flowers,=how?
Where can I learn to preserve not press large amaryllis...
amaryllisstudygroup
green house in winter?
Hi all, im a newcomer to the greenhouse community and...
rookiegrow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™