Drying ornamental gourds

Tammys_place(5/6 Upstate NY)November 9, 2002

I have some of those small bumpy gourds(sorry, name escapes me) and was wondering if anyone has dried them and used them for rattles, etc...can they be dried like the birdhouse gourds? any thoughts or ideas appreciated

Thanks, tammy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tisha(z5 NH)

check out the gourd forum for info on how to dry them.

Bookmark   November 11, 2002 at 11:34AM
gourd_friends(z5/6 IL)

Hi Tammy,
We have dried ornamental gourds for Christmas ornaments, etc. I have read that there is a mixture of borax and water that you can dip them in and help them dry, but we found that scraping the colored skin off, then letting them dry works very well. We use a paring knife that is not real sharp, and scrape, scrape, scrape.
Be careful not to cut into the gourd flesh, as this will cause it to rot. They won't take too long to dry, but we put them in our little green house to speed things along. It will probably take a month or maybe a few weeks longer.
When they are dry they can be drilled, painted, stained, or, whatever. They make beautiful tree decorations.

Good Luck,
Your gourd friend,
Jan

Bookmark   November 12, 2002 at 1:14AM
GoProgest(z8/far N.CA)

This year, for the first time, I've grown very large gourds (the bird house type). The largest is about 30 lbs. BIG, huh?! I've received quite comprehensive instructions on how to dry them but not WHEN. I need to know WHEN to dry them. The vines are probably nearly half-way dried, on their way out. I had continued to water them until yesterday. If someone can enlighten me I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
Judy

Bookmark   November 1, 2003 at 2:54AM
sowngrow(TX8)

Judy-Congrats on your gourd growing success! It's best to leave them on the vine as long as possible to dry. If you cut them, leave some stem and hang them in an area that has very good ventilation, to dry. Check out the gourd forum for more info. if needed.

Bookmark   November 17, 2003 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
Need bird bath ideas
I want to create unique bird baths. Any ideas? thanks...
melissad
betta fish
I am new to betta fish. I have two large vases with...
Revelbioinvestigator
HGTV is closing on Nov. 4th
They are looking for a new place to "meet"...
grandma_bonnie
preserving large amaryllis flowers,=how?
Where can I learn to preserve not press large amaryllis...
amaryllisstudygroup
preserving large amaryllis flowers,=how?
Where can I learn to preserve not press large amaryllis...
amaryllisstudygroup
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™