rose preservation in water globe

sweet2000herbie(USDA zone 6)December 1, 2004

Help me, please!!!

My sister has always admired a water globe you put fresh flowers in. Our grandmother had one when we were growing up. Recently I stumbled upon one from BOWL O BEAUTY CO., which was one of the original designs for this style. It has a screw on lid and a three footed stand. I am desperate for any information by Christmas.

I have attempted to find info. on the company, or the method of preservation and come up with little other than this particular company still existed until the 80's. I had contacted the librarian in the town these were made and she had a cousin that worked their for a summer.

I have contacted local florists to no avail. Nothing so far in library how to books.

I am hoping against hope that one of you remember this type of design and can come up with the solution. Thank you in advance! Candace

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lillie1441(b3 TX)

Candace-A while back I posted a method for preserving leaves(can also be used for flowers)using glycerine.You imerse the leaves in warm glycerine and leave them for 3 weeks and it preserves them so they can be used in arrangements and they are soft and supple.I wonder if you could use glycerine as the liquid in the globe and preserve the rose that way? Might be worth trying.I did a search and also came up with nothing!LOL
Lillie

Bookmark   December 1, 2004 at 11:41PM
Gemmanee(UK)

I have also been looking for one of these globes because I can no longer have cut flowers displayed in my home due to allergies. I'm desperately hoping that one of these companies will ship over to UK for me as I've searched high and low for a supplier over here and drawn a blank.
These are two companies I found when I did a search. You will need to cut and paste the addresses into your browser window as I can't do the link 'thingy'. I hope this helps.

http://crystalboutique.umbrellaweb.com/glvirtualsoft/howto.php

http://www.gardeners.com/Shopping/sell.asp?ProdGroupID=17332&omMerchandising=Product%20CrossSell

Gemmanee

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 3:14AM
alice50

I have a Bowl o Beauty - roses in a globe preserved in liquid
My children bought it for me in the 80's at Service Merchandise - and may I say it wasnt cheap!
After about a year some of liquid seemed to vanish from it so it didnt look so nice and I put it in a cupboard - well I just got it out and the liquid is pure black cant even see the roses inside so I guess I will be dumping it!
the bottom says Bowl O Beauty Co. Melrose, Il 60160
But if I were any of you I wouldnt bother trying to buy one unless its something you want to only last for a year.
I wish I had a web address for them because if I did I would email and complain!

Bookmark   January 8, 2006 at 6:33PM
bob_s_85335

If you are still looking for this Globe I just purchased one from leevalley.com This looks exactly as I remember the one of old days. I'm very pleased with it.

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 1:01PM
alice54

My daughter has a Bowl o Beauty also...There is a number on the lid...The number on hers is "7632"...She payed $2.99 at a second hand store in Florida....She was told that it contained the same fluid that is used in bodies at Funeral Homes. I would try to spell it but it would be wrong...And that it also contained ashes of a person...How true this is ,,well I don't know...I'm still looking for more info on this subject also....alice54

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 7:32PM
heronkate

I have a Bowl O Beauty that I just out up for sale in my Etsy shop, in case anyone is still interested. Thanks for looking !
http://www.etsy.com/listing/49401588/bowl-o-beauty-glass-globe-on-stand

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 10:25AM
bussertm_yahoo_com

My uncle, Clarence Bussert, invented Bowl O Beauty. As I have heard the story, he was a florist and sort of an amateur chemist; he started working for the Amlings flower people as a teenager or young man; he developed the preservative that kept the roses beautiful for years. Others copied the process, but with an inferior chemical which which was bad for the reputation of the product. Then people came out with products that had plastic flowers -- the whole thing went tacky and they finally disappeared at some point. My Uncle died in the 1960's. My cousin might have more detailed info.

Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 9:03AM
dandfbeaven_wowway_com

I have a bowl-o-beauty and am looking to buy more preservative. Anyone know?

Bookmark   January 3, 2011 at 4:30PM
mauri965_frontier_com

Mysister remembers that our mother's came with a packet of chemicals you mixed with water.

Bookmark   January 29, 2011 at 4:52PM
sistersara55_localnet_com

I have my grandmothers globe,but I don't remember what she used to keep water clean.I was wondering if a small drop of bleach would help?I don't remember her keeping it for years?Is this possible?

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 5:17PM
jnjonesiez_aol_com

Am looking to buy a bowl o beauty. Need help in locating one. Help, please. Also, can't you just use water to preserve flowers?

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 11:27AM
Najla2

My mom worked for Bowl O Beauty. She dipped the flowers in wax and put them in the bowls. So of course, we had one. They were supposed to be well sealed and something added to the water to preserve. Ours lasted for at least 10 and only a bubble appeared at the top, apparently due to a bit of evaporation. They were absolutely beautiful.

I found a similar container at a thrift store, Made in Germany called Blumen Aquarium - Magic Flower Bowl. It is made for you to add your own flower. I put some orchids in it this weekend and they are lasting for a few days any how. Makes a beautiful display, although now as pretty as the original.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 9:27PM
More Discussions
Bird Seed Ornaments
I made 2 batches of bird seed ornaments this weekend....
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
Homemade bird seed cakes
got inspired by an email from Burpee Seeds showing...
DrFruitCake
anyone need any nice used horse shoes?
My husband shoes horses for a living and if you need...
ladybugmama
betta fish
I am new to betta fish. I have two large vases with...
Revelbioinvestigator
4in Plastic Seed Pot Ideas?
Hi there! Earlier today I went and picked up 4(!!!)...
juliemaye
Sponsored Products
Photocell 15 3/4 Inch Coach Light -Black
$55.10 | Bellacor
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Rupec Multi Colored 5 ft. x
Home Depot
Butler Corbin Accent Table - Plantation Cherry - 1154024
$279.00 | Hayneedle
P106 Crystal Ensemble Brushed Nickel/Hardware
PLFixtures
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Hickory Blue/Tan 5 ft. x 7
Home Depot