Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
compost_hugger_nancy

Spring fever already

I'm down at my sons and will have surgery next week. My mind though is wandering to the possibility I'll be able to do some gardening this year.

So hard to control thoughts of a grandure garden which I likely will not be able physically to do. Still I imagine being on the ground or using a tiller between rows of lushously growing plants!

I imagine myself sitting in the swing with humming birds feeding all around me while I enjoy a tall glass of iced mint tea!! In my mind there is no neck/arm/shoulder/spine pain.

But then a shock throuhg my mid back up into my head brings me back to reality and I momentarily feel sorry for myself. I think I'll go back in my mind and keep imagining the surgery will help get as close as possible to my vision.

Comments (5)

• compost_hugger_nancy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

..about next years garden?

I'm recouping now from my surgery and already feel some relief!!!

I am so anxious to get into gardening and birdwatching again. I'll still have to consider my stamina limitations and adjust accordingly but I'm itching to get started.

• barbwatkins
    18 years ago

Nancy, I am with you!!! I am glad your surgery went okay and I am anxious to get out there too. I live in Arkansas, I was looking out the window yesterday thinking that now would be a good time to go outside and get preorganized for this years season. This morning, I went out to check on things and low and behold, the daffodils are already shooting up from the ground about two inches, also have seen the mums are starting to come back and several other plants as well.
    I need to get out and cut down last years asparagus branches and clean up a bit, this morning here the weather was 32 degrees but it is supposed to get 64 degrees sometime today. Wow, this is a bit scarey. We have not had much of a winter at all this year, but, if we do end up having a big cold snap, it will mess up everything.
    Well, I wish you well with your recovery, please keep in touch and let me know your plans for getting out there and what do you plan on doing first?

• compost_hugger_nancy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Are Barb & I the only ones dreaming!!??

Last weekend I'm told we had 12" snow fall overnight. My son will be taking me home this weekend so I hope there is access into my yard from the road. If not I will have to have someone plow a parking spot and clear a pathway to the door.

I guess first I will inventory me seeds and look for fresh wildlife tracks on the snow. That sould tell me where I need to put barrier cages. Perhaps scatter some of the seeds I saved from wildflowers on my property closer to the house but near the woods edge leading to the natural spring hole edge.

I'll have to get help but I'm thinking I will dig a shelf at the edge (to plant marginals and create shallow area for smaller birds to bathe) and clear out some vegetation on the opposite side to create an observation sitting area.

So anxious to get home to my cats and enjoy the birds and assess financial ability to set a budget for house and yard.

• Michael_ut
    18 years ago

I also have a touch of spring fever, but am concerned about my new disability interfering greatly with my ability to garden. I had to have my elbow reconstructed and my right arm just dosen't work as it use to. Anyway, I have been looking through books and other media in an attempt to figure out just how i am going to garden this year. I was accepted into the master gardeners school at Utah State University and had to turn them down because of a biology class conflict, (don't you just hate those kind of problems), which has added to my frustration about my garden this year. I decided to reduce the size of my garden by about one third and am switching to the no work method of gardening. Just thought that I would vent here some. Isn't spring fever great?

• barbwatkins
    18 years ago

yes! It is great! I enjoy just reading about what everyone is planning to do. I guess if you cant actually do it, talking bout it is the next best thing. Michael, I hope everything goes right with your arms now. Sounds like you have a bunch to keep you busy as well with the biology and all. It must have been a tough decision to choose.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths