Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieyankfan

DIY sprinkler system

julieyankfan
17 years ago

I don't know if you've ever heard of this idea before, but I'd like to share it with you. I have 3 discs removed from my lower spine, so I have a lot of hardware, and a lot of pain. The worst part is standing. My DH has made me 4 small flower beds around the house and 1 long one the length of the back of the house. They are about 3 to 4 ft. in width, so they're easy to take care of.

My problem is standing there holding the hose to water, especially the long bed. So, my DH got some 3/4" pvc pipe, drilled some holes in it and put a cap on one end and a hose connector for pvc at the other. He laid it along the inside of the edgers of the bed and all I have to do now is put the connector on the open end of the pipe and it waters the whole bed! This is about 25 ft. of bed. I can sit on the garden swing and watch it water without me standing there.

We bought all the pieces at Home Depot. They have all kinds of connectors for whatever kind of hose you have. We didn't even need to glue the pipe pieces together, since there isn't much pressure going through. All of this cost less than $6!!!

My neighbor made a sprinkler out of pvc, but he used a T connector and put a piece straight up with a sprinkler head. This you will have to glue, as the head is under pressure. He can move this all around depending upon where he is patching the lawn or putting a new plant.

The pvc is easy to cut with a small hacksaw and very easy to drill through. After we had it installed, we drilled extra holes to make sure it was hitting all the plants.

Hope this idea helps someone else.

Julie