Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tow-behind garden 'sled'

Posted by fireweed_1947 western Wa Zone 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 12, 12 at 18:27

I would like to make a simple sled to tow behind my lawn tractor. I have a little trailer but I find it much easier to rake or hoe dirt, etc. directly onto a ground level semi flat/curved surface. My neighbor had a long (8' or 10') sled of fiberglass with slightly curved sides and wooden stiffeners underneath.
I'd thought of getting a thick panel of vinyl or some thing and attaching a towrope but how do I keep the front from digging into the lawn/dirt?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tow-behind garden 'sled'

An acquaintance bought a pretty tough plastic sled/tote kind of thing to drag behind his ATV when he's working on the far side of his 25 acres. It looks pretty sturdy. I don't know where he got his, but there are obviously things out there for such purposes.

Below is a link to a random search online. Looks pretty handy for $55, but better if you could find it local and not have to pay shipping.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Sled/tote for hauling

o

belgianpup; what kind of link does your friend use to attach it to his hauler? The one in the link looked to be fine for hauling by hand but I think I'd prefer something like a regular tow bar and coupling or a swingle-tree arrangement. That would give a more reliable pull and make uncoupling much easier.

That up-curved front should prevent it from digging in, though.

o

I didn't get a really close-up look at it, he was moving most of the time. I'm sure there wasn't anything as substantial as a tow bar. The sled swung back and forth. It seemed like the rope in front had been replaced with something shiny but narrow, not like any kind of heavy chain. Maybe something like that multi-strand steel cable in hardware stores. And the attachment wasn't bulky, either. I got the impression that it was something like the cable that had maybe a loop formed in the front to drop over the tow connection.

Sorry, I didn't get very close or take a very good look.

Maybe you could make one out of wood with the kind of tow bar you have in mind, and made the curved front out 1x2s. Attach some sheet metal over the curved part and the bottom, like a snow sled.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here