Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lasagna gardening and a particular weed, established rose bushes

Posted by oncidihuh z5 SW CO (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 8, 05 at 12:33

I've recently started lasagna gardening and want to convert my flower beds as well. There is one obnoxious weed, White Top, and I don't know if covering will "get" it. It sends runner roots a few inches down and then across and up. It's prolific and can quickly choke out stuff in a regular bed. I really want to get rid of it organically..the extra strength vinegar works pretty well...but it can come back. Any other suggestions? There's one fairly large flower bed where it's pretty well established. My back can't take the old fashioned way of weeding..especially in the clay out here!
There are some rose bushes in these beds that were planted by the previous home owners here, about 5 years ago. Should I build lasagna beds around them or dig them up and transplant them into the beds? Would just mulching around them and building the beds w/ a few inches of space from the roses work? Again, my back would appreciate the less strenuous method!
I'm having so much fun with this in my garden. I'm excited about starting with the flower beds!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lasagna gardening and a particular weed, established rose bus

O.K. this is probably going to start a major controversy but I'm going to tell you what I do in that case. I simply put a layer of black plastic (or clear or whatever plastic) over the offending weeds and cover with mulch. It's like a bad little secret - nobody knows it's there and it's killing the weeds. And yes, I've heard a thousand times before "that will definitly kill your plants. I haven't lost one yet. I have it all around my roses, shrubs, riverbirch, boxwoods etc. I do not do anything like that around the base of camellias.
I am very sensitive to any sprays or chemicals - I will occassionally spot treat with round-up but in general I become ill almost immediatly when I am exposed to herbicide or pesticide. Also I do not have the time to hand weed an acre. I have a full-time job and also work the occasional weekend - weeding is not an option. Sooo.... plastic is my friend. I can usually remove the plastic from the bed after a year or so. I know that sounds like a long time but we have some weeds here that it takes that long to kill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here