Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oncidihuh

Lasagna gardening and a particular weed, established rose bushes

oncidihuh
19 years ago

I've recently started lasagna gardening and want to convert my flower beds as well. There is one obnoxious weed, White Top, and I don't know if covering will "get" it. It sends runner roots a few inches down and then across and up. It's prolific and can quickly choke out stuff in a regular bed. I really want to get rid of it organically..the extra strength vinegar works pretty well...but it can come back. Any other suggestions? There's one fairly large flower bed where it's pretty well established. My back can't take the old fashioned way of weeding..especially in the clay out here!

There are some rose bushes in these beds that were planted by the previous home owners here, about 5 years ago. Should I build lasagna beds around them or dig them up and transplant them into the beds? Would just mulching around them and building the beds w/ a few inches of space from the roses work? Again, my back would appreciate the less strenuous method!

I'm having so much fun with this in my garden. I'm excited about starting with the flower beds!

Comment (1)