Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sigafoos_gw

what do you think about healing gardens?

sigafoos
20 years ago

Hello everyone...

Recently, I've been researching healing gardens; what they are, what it's purpose is, who visits them...that kind of thing.

I've found a lot of newspaper articles talking about the benefits of them, how a particular garden helped a cancer patient or someone that was sick or disabled feel better or recuperate faster; or even instances where the garden offered various means of therapy or was used as a place for meditation or reflection. I also found that many hospitals are starting to build healing gardens on their property, as places for patients and family/friends to spend time or to be used as a place for gathering thoughts. There are also churces, sanctuaries, or even environmental organizations who are adding a healing garden to their property, as a consideration to their constituents.

I am curious to know what everyone here might think about these gardens, particularly people who these gardens might have been built for...those of you who are going throug a therapy program, or are disabled or sick. Have you even been to a healing garden? Do you find they help, or are they not as helpful as they were meant to be?

If you have been to one before, what did you like or dislike about it? Would you give any advice to a builder of a healing garden?

I searched a bit about this subject but didn't really find anything that fit what I was looking for.

Many thanks in advance for any responses I get! Please feel free to contact me personally if you want to say something but not have it public.

Comments (14)

• Yellow22
    20 years ago

This is a topic that has been on my mind for the last few days. I work at a CCRC and they are really big on healing gardens. The first nation conference was two years ago at the facility and this year they are the host again. I'm not educated in anything on this topic but being a true gardener has helped me where some of the people who are experts are reveling the results on the studies. I have free roam to explore. I can see what helps, it all helps believe me. There's plants even going on to a Mars people flight. Not because it'll take 3 years and they need to grow food but because they know plants keep us in touch with nature. What else would be in a hospital room where some one may feel isolated other than a plant. A warm blanket, a vistor and maybe a cold TV. When it comes to older people who can no longer tend to the earth when they see a younger person make a beautiful garden it makes them feel happy. Not only to sence it but to knowing that some one else is doing what should be done. It's old fashion and older people don't like change. I'm younger and would hate the idea if nobody wanted to garden any longer.
    I've been building healing gardens and there are some shrubs they don't like but let me tell you it's just one and you'll get some strong opinions, Oak Leave Hydragea. Becuae it looks very dead in winter but this is my therory. The healing garden should be also know as a re-enfourcing garden. It's a true life cycle. It's a place where a therapist is there because maybe a walking path will help them to exercise. A family member may not have been there until a person was sick but has loved them all along, death may be a topic that needs to be spoken about. Gardens sometimes look dead. Those who cannot look beyond that may need help with depression that no garden ever could help with. It help build conversations and clears the mind of clutter in meditation. Then I've heard some of the flowers I planted in a memorial garden where too bold. This is place where ashes can be spread so I look at it as a happy place and anybody who can't block out anything but nature during meditation needs maybe to close their eyes. Of corse I can control color but not the sounds of bees and birds and the fluttering butterflies. Those are also important in the garden. Well I hope this helped alittle and that more respond. I'd be interested in chatting.

• birdz_n_beez
    20 years ago

I personally think that any garden that is comfortable, is healing.
    But when I worked at a nursing home/rehab center, I helped in the planing and planting of an inner garden. It turned out sooooo peaceful. Even though through the wall, chaos could be erupting inside. I think that the most important element to a healing garden is that SOMETHING blooms or has color all year. In our winters, we did planting in cold strat glass boxes close to the door, so that they could be seen when walking (wheeling) by. I think this is important (as said above) because there is always life in the harshest conditions. That is what needs to be emphasised. You don't want loud colors, aim more for pastels, maybe a couple pops here and there, but mostly subdued. We made sure we kept "bothersome" nests out (i.e. yellow jackets, even though beneficial, are known to raise most peoples BP). We had many birdhouses scatered throughout. What is better than feeding birds, or watching them hunt?? In the middle of this we put a gazebo with padded seating (so you could lay down if you wish), with benches scattered about. I think that one of the plants almost essential to a healing garden would be a butterfly bush. They attract butterflies by the dozen, and a few types of birds.
    Hope this was some help. Happy gardening. =)

• compost_hugger_nancy
    20 years ago

My garden wasn't always the best to look at but it sure brought in lots of birds and other things which WAS healing for me. The only thing keeping me from focusing on the chronic pain I deal with day to day is the realization that once I get up to my place I can plan out a garden. I may not be able to implement much of it due to physical limitations but the more I do the better my spirits. It hurt so much this past year not to be able to garden (in a safe house situationand chronic pain) which resulted in a moderate depression. I am told the only thing that kept me from loosing it was faith and knowing somewhere in the future I could plant Papas property. It is now mine and I will be planting. Not only the gardening is good healing therapy (pull problems out and toss em) but also the planning process keeps ones thoughts more possitive.

• Yellow22
    20 years ago

I'm really surprised there isn't more on this topic. Have you anything in your article that you found, wait I was thinking about a movie that I went and saw with a gardening good feeling twist tried to look it up and it came to a link that I posted nearly 3 years ago. Nobody responded to but me. I'm not surprised. I'll leave the movie link. It was a cute gardening movie.
    I've been contacted by a women who know a friend of mine, her son and he are friends. She's opening a rehab for criminals just getting out of jail and she wants it landscaped. What a challenge for me???? I need information about this sort of thing now. I think this can be some sort of a healing, do you? Can it be worth it? I wont feel like I'm wasteing my time if I can get paid for it at least the first time around. I'm almost a starving gardener.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.changemakers.net/library/temp/nytimes072201.cfm

• popny
    20 years ago

All gardens are Healing Gardens. You may have no hand in participation, ie.visitinganother Garden or pARK, BUT YOU knoW the effect. Don'tquestion it. All parts of the GArden are healing.. Birds, Buterflies, Buds, squirrels, .....all things living, visiting, inviting..EVEN nuisances, (slugs,snails, etc..,anger/annoyance is prt of healing also),Just BE theRE.be sTILL, or Act, AND KNOW. Keep on.

• Yellow22
    20 years ago

I agree with even the nuisance part. I spent some time in a greenhouse following a trail of ants so I could get rid of them. It was actually fun to watch them communicate that I was after them. The problem was a plant that some one had to give up because she was moving and another person took it from her. That was a nice gesture and everyone must have felt good for awhile but it was time for it to go.

• WendysCritters
    19 years ago

Yellow... (I know nothing about this subject) but have you studied the Gardens of Alcatraz? I think you would get some inspiration from them.

• enchantedplace
    19 years ago

Frame of mind has a lot to do with healing. A beautiful and tranquil environment is reinforcing to healing. Many plants have healing qualities as well as fragrance, color, and beauty. Also, plants that have familiarity are healing. Gardens that provide quiet areas for meditation are healing. Gardens that are inviting are healing. Gardens we can touch are healing. Gardens we can care for are healing..Gardens we can create ourselves are healing.. EP

• Yellow22
    19 years ago

Alcatraz, no I haven't. There's another corner I might have to turn on to.
    I just don't know where to go next with this concept. I spend years getting involved and just always pull out. I don't think I'm really the person who throws the life preserver. Cause I feel like I'm hanging on to one myself so I'd be just sharing. That's if their was a chose in between being in a jail or getting out.

I hate what Philly Pa has done along a major road. My car stawled out on the Ben Franklin Bridge, was able to coast safely on the down side and stop restart...got frazzled and was on my way not think in a wrong direction....A 20 minute detour because on f'ing tress covering direction signs. That not healing and I hope to heck it wasn't PHS who put them their....Real big mistake. I was pissed. If not I think their better be some more people making these choices because I out of now where had an isuuse that could have gotten me at the least in a bad way....sign should be more visiable. I was ment to see what can happen during stressful times and big trees in the wrong spot is not one of them.

• Missouri_Greenwitch
    19 years ago

I, also, believe that all gardens are healing gardens. Therefore, having them in places/situations where healing is particularly needed, makes marvelous sense. For myself, whenever I feel remotely funky (health problems/broken heart/generic blah's), 15 minutes in my garden is tremendously healing. Even if it's only weeding--to be in the presence of my garden moves me. If it's rainy, or too wintery, I've been known to buy a plant, and keep it in my car with me for a few hours while I'm running errands: just to be in the presence of a plant, is healing! greenwitch

• enchantedplace
    19 years ago

Here is some good information about healing gardens. EP

Here is a link that might be useful: healing gardens

• oakleif
    16 years ago

I agree any garden is a healing garden even if it is a planter with a couple of plants in it.
    vickie

• roxann
    16 years ago

OMG! I feel so stupid.When I read this I thought a healing garden would be of herbs.I work in a nursing home and we have flower gardens,veg. gardens and raised gardens thats built up with wood so residents don't have to bend over.The residents just love them. I remember taken a couple residents out to the veg. garden a couple of years ago and they just loved working in it.It really became something for them to look forward too.I tell what,there was never a weed in it.They also enjoy eating there produce.Now with the flower gardens some of my residents sure know how to make beautiful arrangements.Now that I think of it,it's good range of motion for them.I know for myself when I feel I need relaxation time I go out to my gardens also.I'm glad I learned what a healing garden was and not of just herbs.

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

I agree that any garden is a healing garden whether you are just viewing it or actually working in it. Here in my neck of the woods, we have a botanical garden in one of the parks. I love going there to be amongst the flowers, herbs and vegetables. I have also loved playing in the dirt planting things. It's weird but I could never wear gloves. I had to feel the dirt with my hands. And of course there is nothing like a successful garden to lift your spirits!

Even though I only have a balcony for gardening right now, sitting on it isn't the same without some hanging plants and planters full of flowers and/or vegetables.