Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gurley157fs

accessible containers

gurley157fs
19 years ago

Just found this great site! Many of you may already be using this idea but just in case:

I use 50 gallon plastic drums cut in half. Holes are drilled around the bottom for drainage and the half-barrel is filled halfway up with packing peanuts (to keep it from being so heavy). The top half of the half-barrel is filled with planting meduim. This creates a planter that is approximately waist high when you are in the sitting position and is accessible from all sides. I also have 3 two hundred gallon planters that were used to transport palms to be planted at a local airport. I use them to plant my tomatoes, peppers, and so forth. In the winter they hold cabbage and lettuce and sometimes I just use them as a holding container for things that I don't know what to do with yet. The big planters are about waist high when I am in the standing position.

Comments (5)

• janice__
    19 years ago

Hi, thats a good adea.I'll have to try that one !Janice__

• ejpip
    19 years ago

Where can one get 50 gal plastic drums?

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I used to get them from a farmer that I bought hay for my horses from. My 'horsin around' days are over though. So I had to ask hubby for suggestions.

First of all, if you do a net search, he said it's 55 gallon plastic barrels ( the 50 was incorrect). He suggested restraunts that buy cooking oil or paint stores.

• chrisanne1
    19 years ago

I guess you could use plastic trash cans if you can't locate any 55 gallon drums. They're pretty cheap at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart. I just recently had to throw away about a roomful of styrofoam peanuts as I couldn't find a local business that would accept them for recycling. Hadn't really thought about using them as drainage medium in containers...

• oakleif
    16 years ago

another good idea to make the rounds again
    vickie