Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
accessible containers

Posted by gurley157FS zone 7sc (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 7, 05 at 21:08

Just found this great site! Many of you may already be using this idea but just in case:

I use 50 gallon plastic drums cut in half. Holes are drilled around the bottom for drainage and the half-barrel is filled halfway up with packing peanuts (to keep it from being so heavy). The top half of the half-barrel is filled with planting meduim. This creates a planter that is approximately waist high when you are in the sitting position and is accessible from all sides. I also have 3 two hundred gallon planters that were used to transport palms to be planted at a local airport. I use them to plant my tomatoes, peppers, and so forth. In the winter they hold cabbage and lettuce and sometimes I just use them as a holding container for things that I don't know what to do with yet. The big planters are about waist high when I am in the standing position.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: accessible containers

Hi, thats a good adea.I'll have to try that one !Janice__

o

Where can one get 50 gal plastic drums?

o

I used to get them from a farmer that I bought hay for my horses from. My 'horsin around' days are over though. So I had to ask hubby for suggestions.

First of all, if you do a net search, he said it's 55 gallon plastic barrels ( the 50 was incorrect). He suggested restraunts that buy cooking oil or paint stores.

o

I guess you could use plastic trash cans if you can't locate any 55 gallon drums. They're pretty cheap at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart. I just recently had to throw away about a roomful of styrofoam peanuts as I couldn't find a local business that would accept them for recycling. Hadn't really thought about using them as drainage medium in containers...

o

another good idea to make the rounds again
vickie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here