Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssfkat3

How do you make yourself stop playing in the garden?

ssfkat3
17 years ago

Hi everyone, I've been a member of GW for three years now, though lost my way and wasn't around the last two. This year however, I'm going to get back into the swing of living, I'm done with depression and ready to begin playing in the dirt in the garden. :D I miss my flowers.

I have MS and a new neck (plate from T1-C4) due to herniated disks all of which were compressing the spinal cord, first one left permanent damage to the cord, second surgery was just this past october, when I blew two. :(

My beds have been in sad shape though for most of the last six years, so we cleaned out the big front beds last fall, and they are not in too bad of shape now.

The question I have is...HOW do you make yourself stop???

I know that I can do this IF I limit what I do and for how long, but you all know what it's like when you get your hands in the dirt and you just can't let go????

you would think that the risk of another surgery or the fact that I'll end up on my butt for two weeks when I overdo it, that would be enough to make me stop, however, I just don't think that way when I'm doing what I most enjoy. Especially if I'm having a "good" day.

any and all suggestions, hints, tips, heck, you name it, bring them on!!! my husband threatens me with taking the tools...but I'd just go buy more. :D

thanks,

sally - who has NO willpower to stop before it's too late

Comments (3)

• oakleif
    17 years ago

ssfkat3, I'm new to this forum too. I can empathise with you oh so much. Have been fighting deep depression along with some other major health problems for a couple of years.

I want to get back into gardening this year too.
    I have no choice but to space myself as i run out of energy after about 20 minutes than i rest and start again.
    Do you need to space yourself in minutes? Can you sit and rest out by your flowerbeds. That can be a healing feeling too. I have a comfortable chair to sit in. If you need to lay down get an outside lounge chair. I also have a few angels placed throughout my flower beds.

You say you have no will power. Yes you do. It may be down deep but you can bring it up when you have to. I don't have any will power either but i have the willpower to do everything to keep gardening for as long as i can do so. That means i have to pace myself now so i can garden in the future as long as i can.

Time yourself with a kitchen timer,then sit back and look proudly at what you've done and think what those few spots will look like a couple of months from now. Than do a little more and tell yourself I did this much an i did,nt risk putting myself in harm so i can injoy this later.

It sounds like you've come such a long way. So i know you can do it.
    vickie

• julieyankfan
    17 years ago

Sally, Vickie has a great idea there with the kitchen timer. Here in Fl, you have to stop and rest in the warmer months, or you'll pass out! Set the timer next to a chair so that you have to walk over to the chair to turn the timer off. Put a bottle of water or powerade next to the chair and SIT!!! Have a drink. Maybe put a book you're reading or the paper there, too. Set the timer for however long you usually need to regenerate and take a break.

This is a good time to look at what you just did and make plans or see if you're going in the right direction with what you're planting. The last time I was working in the back garden, I sat on the swing and realized that I just put the rose bush so close to the bathroom window, that we wouldn't be able to get in there to clean the window. We have those goofy roll out windows here in Fl. I'd kill for new windows!

I used to keep going out in the yard until I couldn't go anymore, and you end up feeling worse. Gardening is supposed to be a relaxing hobby, so be good to yourself and take the time to enjoy what you're doing.

And don't forget, if you're allowed, at the end of the day, sit and look at your garden and have a nice glass of wine!
    Julie

• vikki083
    17 years ago

I put my lawn swing out in the garden. I enjoy sitting out there. My guests enjoy sitting out there. Every little while I can get up and do one or two things. I go out to the garden to sit. If a couple things get done, OK. If not that is ok too. Just depends on how I feel.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths