Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
telephonoscope

Fear of bugs and insects

telephonoscope
13 years ago

Hello, I'm new to the forum, and I'm trying very hard to figure out how to solve my problem. Please, if this is in the wrong forum, let me know.

I'm hoping to garden for frugal and therapy reasons. I've got the physical issues with gardening under control in regards to my disability, but the mental issues are another story. I have severe entomophobia, to the point where lady bugs and flies scare me, let alone bees and wasps. I understand that the bugs are beneficial, and that more likely than not they won't hurt me, but phobias are illogical. I've basically been told to give up on having a garden, but I can't do that yet.

My mother suggested gardening in the very early morning, as there may be less bugs? A friend suggested wetting the garden down with the hose before playing in it.

What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions? I'm very serious about this, so please be supportive. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Telephonoscope, I wish I had a magical suggestion that would solve your problem, but I don't and can only encourage you to try to do what you can.

You already realize your phobia/fear isn't logical and I don't have any background to help you deal with it. If it helps at all, in 40 years of gardening, I think I've been stung by a wasp all of three times....and while I didn't enjoy it, I'm still gardening :)

Most of the insects you encounter are beneficial, if you could only look at them as something positive to see in your garden. I'm happy to see ladybugs, and even happier to see the little immature ladybugs that look like tiny alligators (sort of). Bumblebees in particular just bumble about their own business and can even be brushed away with your hand, as I find I need to do when cutting stems of lavender.

Maybe start small with a brief project, then increase the time you are out as you are more comfortable?
    Your mother is right, cool morning hours would be the quietest time for you to be outdoors and the least active time for bugs. I don't think I'd spray the area down with water first, bugs get thirsty too and it could be a calling card.

I know it isn't the same for everyone, but I need to be outside and growing things to stay grounded, centered. I wish you luck and hope you can find a way to make things work out for you!

(and OT, I've tried to get some of this spam and advertising removed by GW, it's hardly welcoming and not what we'd like to find when browsing this forum. No actions taken yet though. Please ignore it for now)

• Belgianpup
    12 years ago

The more exposure you have to insects, the less they may affect you over time.

Some people also think they have a phobia, when it's really just a lack of exposure. Look at how many people are afraid of the dark. Really! When they think about it, it's mainly because they're never really in the dark. There always seems to be light from somewhere in a town, and you don't realize how dark it is in the country. It takes some getting used to, and some people get used to it faster, and some never really do.

Just remember that when you're in the garden, you can always just walk away and come back later. No one is forcing you to be there (they should, anyway!).

You control your exposure. Maybe the more exposure you get, the more you'll get used to them.

I never thought I would be able to pick up a snake. But we have garter snakes around here, and the cats always seem to find one, and then they sit in a circle and tease it by patting it with their paw. I got tired of looking for a handy container to scoop it into, so I just started picking them up. It wasn't as bad as I thought, and now I don't think about it... very much.

Sue

• vetivert8
    12 years ago

Unless you have a sensitive skin you could also consider using a bug repellent.

We get a lot of mosquitoes over summer - and wasps, to which I'm allergic, so I usually apply repellent before I go out into the yard.

When you're planting up keep plants you know are attractive to bugs back from your paths. And avoid flowering herbs such as Monarda, Thyme, borage, Melissa, some of the sages, oregano, because bees love the flowers. Excellent nectar and pollen.

Same for willow trees in spring. You'll find bees there for pollen.

Fruit trees - get someone else to harvest for you and stand back in spring when the bees are busy.

Thank you for being gentle in fear. Lots of people would spray wildly to kill all the bugs. You haven't and your garden (and health) will probably be the better for it.

Remember to encourage birds to your garden as they will help keep pest bugs under control - as well as slugs and snails.

Hope your garden has been great fun and productive over this summer.

• jannie
    12 years ago

I have a phobia of anything with more than 4 legs. Wear gloves and long sleeves. I once disturbed a wasps nest while transplanting some flowers. I used my shovel to defend myself-I must have looked like an idiot swinging at the swarming insects. But I did manage to kill most of them without getting stung. Fears are irrational. If you want to garden, do it in the early morning.Just avoid the heat and sun. Late afternoon/dusk is okay until the mosquitoes come out! Good luck! If you want a garden badly enough,it can be done.

• JeffPhxAZ
    11 years ago

Back when I lived in an apartment, I started experimenting with growing plants under fluorescent lights indoors. Instead of dirt, i used coconut coir, perlite, turface, fir bark, anything that doesn't decompose quickly as I believe decomposing stuff attracts bugs. Then I just water with a fertilizer that included micronutrients. Almost zero bugs and it was also really convenient because the set-up was on my desk.

• chuckdee
    11 years ago

Good advice already and i echo the early morning, long sleeves and glove mentions. The more you're out there, the better it will get. Good luck!

• Rose82
    11 years ago

You can also get a little net at the outdoors store, it goes over your head. It's for mosquitoes, and it works well and feels like there's a barrier.

I have an intense phobia of worms. Worms, of all things! So I wear gloves when I garden. Luckily i have two little boys who are more than happy to move a worm into different soil (a few feet away) while I work. I have been blessed with very fertile soil and tons of worms, but even after all these years they still freak me out.

• iceblueberry2015
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi, I think you may want to wear dark colored long sleeve shirts and long pants when you work on your garden. A bee once sat on my bag that has a yellow flower drawing. And when I went to picnic with my yellow shirts on, a bee followed me around.. I'm scared of certain bugs that harms me if I get bitten. Although seeing giant bugs still gives me goosebumps, it's manageable now.

Let me explain the reasons why I kind of got over the fear. I had to live in an old house that has mouses, roaches, ants, mosquitoes, etc.. Next room that I moved in was an old wood craft building. I cleaned up the place and applied the drugs to remove them. But, then entire place was wood=food for termites and warm weather didn't help the situation. So, by the time I moved out of that place, I become numbed by the frequencies of their appearance.

I guess when you have no choice but to face with your fear everyday basis, you learn how to get around it, live with it, and survive.

I hope this would be helpful to anyone who reads it. However, I don't recommamd you to force yourself too much because I don't want you to be traumatized. This is not a race. You can deal with it at your own comfortable pace.

• zzackey
    8 years ago

I've had a grape arbor for 7 years now. The ripe grapes attract tons of wasps. I'm always scared I'm going to get stung reaching for grapes, but I haven't gotten stung yet.

• aztcqn
    8 years ago

I had a terrible fear of bees when I was younger. I'd run into the house and slam the door. Funny thing is I was and have never been stung by a bee. When I got to understand what they do and their interest is in flowers and not me, especially knowing I didn't mean them harm, the fear went to a respectful mindfulness that stays just under the surface. It was matter of acclimating myself to their presence and after many many experiences where they flitted past me, around me and landing on flowers next to my hand I began to see the truth that they wouldn't hurt me.

• ladybug Lover
    8 years ago

used to be bothered with insects, too. A little over 2 weeks after continuous exposure to my garden and I've learned to become fearless. LOL. be brave, my friend. It takes a lot of getting used to. :)

• lp
    7 years ago

First of all, sorry about your difficulties. I keep bugs off my food plants by using a Shade Dot and covering it with mosquito net. Here is a photo and a link to the site. You just stick it in the ground. Easy-peasy. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you. ShadeForPlants.com

• Erlinda Mendez
    7 years ago

How bout you spray pesticides to your garden. I heard there are available organic pesticides which you can buy online. I am not really sure what site is that. Or maybe from time to time you can apply insect repellent more specifically those with citronella that is really effective. Hope it works with you.