Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes! - Help

Posted by Strykr zone 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 02 at 2:32

This is my first year playing "green thumb" I'm trying to grow tomatoes indoors from seeds, but it seems, no matter what variety I plant, around 1-2 inches and the little things bend over and die! It's like they can't hold their own weight! I do not use direct sunlight. They are in around 70 degrees temp. I planted them in a Walmart issued :) green house tray where you just add water and the soil pops up. The instructions say to keep the soil moist all the time. The little plants are nice and green, but just plop over after awhile. I turn the tray so they aren't "reaching" for the light. Don't know what else to do. Any help would be wonderful as this is my second batch attempt and it's happening again!

Thanks
Strykr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes! - Help

Damping off happens ... I have heard that weak cold chamomile tea helps stop this, but better still is using sterile seed starting mix for starting them. They like moisture ... but make sure they are not soggy.

Fireraven9
March in the garden - my hostess shows me brown sticks and speaks of flowers
- Sister Benedicta

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Tomatoes

o

I agree that they might be too moist. Did you remove the cover once they emerged from the soil? If not, do so. They need the air. They need to dry out before watered again. Also, water from the bottom. Sunlight isn't going to be as strong as setting up some artificial lights and the lack of lights might be contributing to their problem.

o

• Posted by Taba z5b MO (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 1, 02 at 14:09

I agree with the other comments. Let them dry, then water again from bottom with weak chamomile tea. I have had better luck with my plants started from seed since using the tea instead of plain water.

Read through the Growing Tomatoes forum for excellent info on this issue and lots of other tomato tips.

Hope they perk up!

o

Never had that problem, only the opposite. Are you sure they are getting enough light? Do try lighter, sterile mixes as those might also help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here