Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sodbusting! / Looking for weeding tool

Posted by wsos_girl 7A NW GA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 02 at 3:00

Just checking out this new forum. I have rheumatoid arthritis, but I love gardening! Does anyone have any ideas or tips for breaking new ground for flower beds? I can do a lot, but have a hard time digging out the grass. Someday I'll try some raised beds, but right now I'm trying to work with the existing landscaping.

Has anyone seen a weeder-on-a-stick? It's a long handle with a sharp triangular shaped implement at the end and there's a place to put your foot to shove it into the ground like you do with a shovel. I would love to get one of these for popping out weeds!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sodbusting! / Looking for weeding tool

• Posted by deb29 7Burlco.NJ (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 30, 02 at 5:58

Have you tried just spraying round up and adding soil or mulch for a time being. I'd be impatient waiting for the grass to break down. That's why I always composted where I wanted my next garden. I have that weeder on a stick. When I pull it out
everyone wants to try it. It wears out and always have left over dandelions.

o

the best way I've found to get rid of grass before digging is to lay down a piece of tarp the size you want the garden area to be and laying on top of it a piece of plywood or something else heavy. it works fairly fast in killing the grass. you could spray the area as suggested above and do that tarp as well. it should work really fast that way :)

good luck

Hugs
Maigan

o

• Posted by Taba z5b MO (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 1, 02 at 13:41

When I am in a hurry to remove grass/weeds in a limited area, I use a potato fork to loosen big chunks, then a shovel to pull out the loosened chunks. I can't use a shovel well without first loosening the soil. The potato fork works well IMHO because the sharp tines go in fairly easily, and you use your weight to pry the ground up. You do lose soil, tho, and will need to replace some.

If I have more time, I either spray with roundup (but sometimes takes several applications) or cover with black tarp. Sometimes I do both at once. I still end up digging up the top layer of grass and weeds, tho.

I have also looked at that weed grabber thingy. Haven't tried it yet. I do use the garden claw and was surprised at how handy it is. It's great for loosening, aerating, weeding, and mixing stuff into the soil. I use the tall version but it also comes in a hand-held size. It will break thru fairly light grass, but not thick sod.

o

Hi,
I to have arthritis and the notill garden is for you.
Check on the soil forum and faq and read about Lasagne Gardening.
I took newspaper and cardboard and built my flower beds. I have done 5 like this and it is great. You put newspaper or cardboard right over your lawn or other areas that you want to put a flowerbed.
Dev

o

Thank you for all of the replies! I can't wait to get started.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here