Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Helping and being helped

Posted by darlene87 z7 Wa (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 08 at 5:26

Last fall at the farmer's market, I came in contact with a local group that supports the handicapped. They sold plants, and I asked where they got them. From people like me, so I got all the info needed. They will be coming out next week, and dig all the flowering perennials. Because of health, and slowing down, I am putting in small shrubs. They do all the digging, and refill the empty holes with new compost. So that will be an immense help. Besides it will help them earn money for their organization. I have a lot of perennials, many types, but this winter, I did a lot of analyzing on how much I can do now in the garden. I am so glad to have found a place that will be able to use them, and make a profit also.
Darlene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Helping and being helped

Sounds great! Wish that sort of thing were available everywhere.

o

Your local chamber of commerce might know of sources for help in gardening.

o

Yes !, communication is not what most of us are good doing. There probably is within every good town or city a gardening Society as well as the Chamber of Commerce which would and could be of a great help. But only if they know there is a need out there. We will never know unless we try to find out what we need to help with or how they can be of help to us. I am to fault as much as anyone. All I do is share what little I do have too much of and sometimes get in touch with people who have a few things I am in need of, but just seem to never try to find any help. Yes I agree, I hate to throw away any plant that can be of any use to those who would enjoy them. I have gone past places where homes use to be and see these wonderful and beautiful flowering plants just standing in the former yards getting choked slowly by weeds to when either they succumb or adapt. Despite all the hate we hear of in this world there are still people out there that really care if only we can find them and this is a good place to start.
Thank You
Paul

o

Paul, I injoyed your post. I've tried several times to get a thread started for us who have physical problems. Both to incourage and give practical information for each other. They never seem to last very long.
It helps sometimes to complain about our pains and difficultys to people who have been there and understand.
I have CHF, Arthritis, chronic depression.regular bouts of kidney stones.
I love to garden and my gardening now is mainly done in large flowerpots. I can sit and my plants are at a comfortable height. I get out of breath easily and have pains of course. but this allows me to still have my flowers and a couple of veggies.
Love to hear about anyone else.
Vickie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here