Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deb29_gw

Building on a wheel chair table

deb29
22 years ago

I spend most of my on line time in garden junk. So I have a knack for making things from anything I find. This is just and idea that you may either like to try or help me with. I started using cable wire spools that were left over at work. It's a CCRC and we're having Senior TV installed. I was able to remove the top and bottom and now have to circular tables. I removed the center in a circle, cut them in half...like sharing a dounut. I have few table legs not sure how many I'll need but the idea is to place the table

on a wheelchair arm rest with a strap that will tie in the back. I might only need one, two or three legs and if I'm lucky none. Little clips could be mounded on the botton of the table that hook on to the arm rest. What do you think? I have a class on Friday and we are only starting vegetable seeds so I'll be trying it out then for size. Would be nice to be able and stack them some how as space is always an issue. Any comment ideas or experiences is appreciated.

Thanks, I know I'll be back asking for more ideas.

Comments (4)

• mrsbeasley
    22 years ago

I'm not sure what you're trying to do...you say you've removed the top and bottom, are they the table tops? Does the table top come around the person in the wheelchair--is the wheelchair in the centre of the 1/2 donut?

If the picture in my mind is accurate, I guess you'd have to make the first one around someone who's sitting in a wheelchair. Balance it on the arms, and play with the legs until you were satisfied. I guess the only suggestion I'd make is to have the legs on hinges, so they could fold down and you'd be able to stack a lot of tables against the wall.

Or perhaps you could make 3-legged tables that stand alone without being fastened to the wheelchair, that way the person could move around, knees under the table, but if they needed something they'd have a better chance of reaching what they need. I'm just thinking that if they're surrounded by a table, they can only reach what's on the table, but if the table is separate, they have more independence.

I don't know if my thoughts have been a help, but I hope they were, and I wish you well.

Mrs Beasley

• deb29
    Original Author
    22 years ago

It seems after yesterday that the group is growing and the W/chair table top has a place for outside. The outdoor furniture at the CCRC is made of cedar and very heavy and is spread out. In order for me to get everyone comfortable I now see I'll need to make a tables that is on a larger scale or break up the group by needs. Some wheel chairs are smaller than others. The garden that we'll be working in is a sensory garden and there are no raised beds that they can work on but plans for some container for vegetable that they can work on and a few hanging baskets are in place. There's a few beautifully handmade planters that are too low that could be raised but would restricts the view from the inside. Some can't get out doors and are bed ridden. This is very challenging for me and am concerned for everyone to enjoy the garden. I'm even concerned about maneuvering containers from one entrance to another...could be confusing or make some one think a bit harder. I'm started some networking and will share some new ideas as they come along. I've read the post here in this forum and I like the idea of that reachy thing. I'll have to pick them up at the thrift store on campus. It saves me from jumping around the getting things. I can juggle but shouldn't
    when I don't need to.

• Newt
    22 years ago

Have you looked at this book for ideas? 'Enabling Gardens: Creating Barrier Free Gardens' by Gene Rothert.

Newt

• tony0807
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I have built for a Hospital flower beds for wheel chair users, I would like to know if this a product that would interest wheel chair users,
    The ones I made when made from timber some free standing with legs and some fixed to the wall at different heights for manual and electric wheelchairs.
    I have new design ideas but was wondering if this is something that would be needed.
    Tony smith

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths