Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window box, Window shelf

Posted by hayseedman zone5/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 02 at 9:32

I'm not physically limited, but I thought this might be helpful to some of you.

I have deer and critter problems, so a couple of years ago, I leaned a couple of cedar posts (10 feet long kind) against my house along a side that happens to include my bathroom and kithcen windows. I then suspended a wide shelf from the posts, a little lower than the windows. I place pots of plants on the shelves. I can care for the plants by opening the window...

Another variation; With long pieces of wire, I suspend large baskets from my eaves. Lots of them, so that by the time the plants really get going, it's a mass of plants.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window box, Window shelf

Just about everyone in my area has hanging baskets, everybody loves them, and they are FINALLY getting a
little creative too, with vegies, and all kinds of stuff.
And who can't love a Window Box, SOOOOOO easy, and LOOK so wonderful. They can jump start the most gray of days.
Sheila

o

Hi! Well, I am always the one withall the questions!!
I would love to put a window box with beauitful flowers that flow down the sides & colorful ones that grow about a foot tall!For 3 years now, I have attempted to to put this design in my mind into a window box but I cannot seem to find anykind of vines or ground covers ,etc that'll fall over the box & just grow. They turn brown,stop growing & they look terrible. Would anybody have some ideas as to what kind of 'flowing flowers'& what would really look nice & grow in the middle? I would be grateful for any advice you would have.In time, I would love to return the favor!!

o

Window box ideas for cascading plants:
Sun--superfina petunias, bacopa, million bells, verbena, vinca vine, licorice plant, ivy geraniums, alyssum, sweet potato vine, trailing lantana, pineapple mint, strepto-carpella, thyme
Shade--Fushia, lamium, impatiens, asparagus fern, torenia, lobelia, coleus, vinca vine, creeping jenny, ivy

o

Zinnia,
Thank you so much for you ideas regarding window box plants. I am putting in 8 window boxes. I do so want them to have a variety of plants so each one is different. Some will be in morning sun and the others will be in afternoon. Your advise is appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here