Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patiencenotmyvirtue

Ideas from Gardener's Supply

Here is a page from the 'Gardener's Supply Company'.

Besides having a great catalog, this site is filled with ideas and products to make gardening easier. The coiled hose would be wonderful. Check out the garden listed here.

This should certainly be inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.gardeners.com/gardening/content.asp?copy_id=5157

Comments (6)

• sheila0
    22 years ago

anniecat-- What an inspiration !!! Beautiful
    I read some other pages there, and they're perfect for those with physical problems.
    Sheila

• ellen_
    22 years ago

Yes, nice article. Gardener's Supply has been very helpful in guiding me--visually impaired--to pick out the products that are going to suit my needs best. I'd recommend them wholeheartedly for anyone working with any type of disability. Their customer service representatives are extremely helpful, can explain pictures in the catalog, how to use a product and whether it is going to meet your needs. If you're gardening inside, containers or in the yard, definitely check them out. They give great ideas and are very sensitive to needs.

• ginger_nh
    22 years ago

Ellen:
    I have a great teenage boy working for me in my gardening business for the 2nd season now. He has achromatopia--a genetic visual problem marked by low vision, colorblindness, and extreme sensitivity to light. He wears sunglasses, of course, and sees the world in shades of gray. He loves outdoor work, has great problem-solving abilities, and enjoys tackling big parts of projects like rolling out ree-may and pinning it down, carrying bales of straw or bags of manure, removing sod, etc. The work of weeding/deadheading/other fine detail gardening work is frustrating to him, however. Often there is nothing to do but this part of the work at hand. We have hit upon some good ways to help him in his work--he easily identifies many plants by their scents(mint, bacopa, monarda, ivies) and feel(sedums, licorice, lamb's ears)so I will send him to work with these plants when possible. Have you any other gardening hints or tips that I might pass on to him?

Thank you.
    Ginger

• ellen_
    22 years ago

Hi Ginger,
    Sounds like you've taken on a challenge. Thanks for giving someone with a disability a chance to work and experience the garden.
    I have to admit I've been doing it for over 40 years without sight, so it comes so naturally, it's tough. I grant you, the jobs you're describing that are frustrating to him are fussy, specific and sometimes slow. I do all of them by touch. Over the years, I'm sure I've deadheaded a flower too late or too early, but it's just taken years of trial and error to get it right. If you have a chance, and if he's willing to get down and examine, can you show him by touch the difference between weeds and whatever plants he's working with.
    I'm mostly into veggies, some herbs and some flowers--but the key is probably the same, recognizing the plant from the weed. If he's not into slow methodical work, then I'm not sure. But if he's willing to go slow, just let him learn by touch the different leaves that different plants, vs. weeds have.
    Would be happy to share more if you like. Hope this helps somewhat.
    Ellen

• ginger_nh
    22 years ago

Good idea to show difference between weeds and flowers on each particular job. Certain situations -- such as crab grass removal or deadheading verbenas -- would merit this sort of simple differentiation; just look/feel for one particular shape. He does have quite a bit of sight and can see shapes--is hoping to be able to drive with optical help--forget exactly what the aids are called. I will try your suggestion. Mostly I try not to give him fussy work-- but when I have to, we have a joke wherein I tell him "this is ballet dancer work, not truck-driver work, so you probably won't be wild about it." May sound a bit sexist, but it appeals to this particular adolescent boy and makes him feel less different from the other workers.

Anything else you think of, I would appreciate hearing.

Thank you, Ellen.
    Ginger

• KAYGARDENER
    21 years ago

DEAR GINGER & ELLEN,
    THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR ENCOURAGING GARDENING HINTS FOR VISUALLY IMPAIRED PEOPLE...I'M GETTING SO NEARSIGHTED THAT I CAN SEE DETAILS, (EG--LEAF VEINS) ONLY FROM ~2-3" AWAY ...THE REST IS JUST GREENISH SHAPES...I MAKE A LARGE GARDEN PLAN (4 SHEETS OF 8 X 11 GRAPH PAPER (1/4" GRID) TAPED TOGETHER) SO I KNOW WHAT VEGIES ARE WHERE, & ANYTHING OUT OF ALIGNMENT, IS PROBABLY A WEED...GOOD GARDENING TO YOU.K