Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up


Posted by MegNYC z6NY (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 05 at 14:18

This may seem like a small thing but I am about to start my indoor seed sowing, and I will need to mist a lot.

I have very arthritic hands (had my knuckles replaced in one of them) and sometimes I want to scream in frustration at those plastic misting bottles that I just can't get to work sometimes. Full bottle, squeeze and squeeze and nothing comes out.

I saw a picture of one thing that might work, it had kind of a goose-neck nozzle and you could pull the spraying part right out of the bottle because it had a long hose. The downside was it only came with a gallon container, which you hold in the other hand and I can't carry anything that heavy.

Has anyone found an easy solution to this problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Misting

About all that comes to mind from here is to either throw money or a handyperson at the problem and acquire a propagating unit with a mister system. They can be homemade by someone with working knowledge of electrical systems and there are 'recipes' available on the internet - possibly even on the propagation site. Or you may be able to pick one up at a flea market/farmers' market place, second-hand.

I agree about the hand misting containers: they are so tiring to use.

RE: Misting

I did find a solution just over the weekend. Expensive, but good. It's called Delta Sprayer.

You pump first, but the pumping is pretty easy, cause if you put it on a flat surface, you can pump with the palm of your hand. No gripping or strength required, really. Then you mist by pressing a little button on the handle ... very easy.

It cost about $30, but that's a lot less than a whole misting system, and is easy to work.

RE: Misting

Sounds great, MegNYC! Much cheaper, and will probably cover far more flats than a unit.

I keep dreaming about a mister - but I'm a bit electrically-challenged - can't easily tell a resistor from a capacitor. I wonder if they have a 'paint by numbers' version for the likes of me?!

RE: Misting

There are misting nozzles available that fit on the end of the hose. Try some of your better gardening centers. Another suggestion.....try "misting nozzles" in your search engine.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here