Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need some Suggestions

Posted by Sweetmama 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 03 at 15:01

I have been told 2mo. ago that I have 3 Pertruding Disc,Arthritis Bone Spurs, and Cyst in my Spinal Cord.My left leg is week most of the time and in pain all the time in leg and back. I already have Scoliosis(not that bad). Now thay say there is not a thing thay can do. And it will get worst.

The thing is I have alot of plants and I cant do all the weeding and such. Does anyone have any suggestings of how to change my way of takeing care of my yard.I tried to do as much as I can then I'm down for 2or3 days when I do.

Thank You
Marilyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need some Suggestions

I'm so very sorry about your pain, sweetmama.

Ruth Stout claimed that a 6-12 inch layer of hay used as a mulch eliminated the need for weeding altogether. If you can hire someone to get a really thick mulch layer down for you, that will help cut down on the need for weeding. A thick layer of wet newspapers will also help, again if you can get some help laying it down.

Hope this helps.

o

definitely yes to lots of mulch. i also found that using vinca and sweet woodruff [may be too warm where you are for that] and ajuga and other flat groundcover really helps keep the weeds down amongst shrubs and trees. where i have plants, i've spend most of my effort with perennials and container gardens.
it's definitely really important that you stretch, take lots of breaks, don't stoop [keep back straight when you bend] - i know it's very very hard not to be able to do what you used to be able to do [i hate that part the most] and it's so frustrating to see all the work that needs to be done and you wish you could do it - but a little at a time is better than being flat out for days, unfortunately

o

Thank You I will try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here