Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aker_gw

Your favorite gardening tools?

aker
22 years ago

What tools do you use to help to you when gardening from a wheelchair? My favorite has got to be a reacher stick!! I don't know how many times I have dropped something or wanted to reach into the back of one of our planters.

I also like using 4 liter plastic ice-cream buckets to carry things in from small amounts of soil to small tools, even water.

Let's get this forum going :-)

Comments (15)

• oldmom
    22 years ago

Foam rubber kneeling pads!!

• Maigan
    22 years ago

a home made rod my husband made me from a golf club. it digs, it reaches, it drags things to me. It's wonderful LOL and it has the perfect grip and length. what more do I need??

I wish I had a picture of it. I"ll try to get one and show you all.

Hugs
    Maigan

• taba
    22 years ago

I recently found some great tools that minimize hand and back strain - I posted about them in a couple of forums since this did not exist then. Of course the weather went from 80 degrees the day they arrived to 40 degrees they day I unpacked them! Ha! So have yet to try them out.

Here's my original post about Sources for Gardeners with Physical Limitations.

The sites mentioned include tools for those in wheelchairs, but I was looking for other things. Pictures of some tools or tool enhancements mentioned in the above post:

{{gwi:336244}}
    {{gwi:336245}}
    {{gwi:336246}}
    {{gwi:336247}}

Another favorite tool of sorts is Desert Bloom treatment to reduce water evaporation and make the most of every drop of water. It was developed for agricultural crops in desert environments, but I use it on flowers - especially containers, raised beds, and deck railing planters. Am trying it on veggie garden this spring.

• Deb_NJ
    22 years ago

Of course they had to be out there, but now I know just where to go to find the right tools for my husband. Thank you! Deb

• Newt
    22 years ago

I have bad knees (among other problems) and found a pair of heavy foam knee pads at Home Depot for about $5.00. They are even better than dragging a knee pad for me. I also have one of those little garden buggies that I keep some tools in and can sit on when I can't stand any longer.

Newt

• Zinnia
    22 years ago

Taba, please let us know how your new tools work. I've been thinking of buying some of these tools. Last summer was my first in a wheelchair and it was challenging to maintain my gardens so I'm looking for new ways to adapt. Since I have upper body weakness I find digging even a small hole very difficult so I'm especially interested in finding an ergonomic trowel for planting and transplanting my perennials and annuals.

• taba
    22 years ago

Zinnia - Used these add-on handles with my heavy rake today and they helped a lot!

I didn't have to lean over as much, and was able to rake up lots of leaves/debris/sticks with a lot less effort and jarring impact. Just having my hands in better positions made things much easier. Definitely worth $12, since they work with my existing tools and can be switched between them.

I have not had a chance to really try the other tools yet. I played around with the yellow trowel and it seems like it will require a lot less strength and wrist action, but haven't used it enough to know for sure. It was hard to choose between the yellow tools and the red tools (shown below). Since no one carries them locally, I couldn't go try them on or anything.

If anyone else uses these, let us know if they help your gardening abilities.

• mmcc
    22 years ago

I have MS and also have serious loss of upper body strength and use a scooter.

1. There are all kinds of gardening tools with medium length handles - 2-3 feet long. Also you can saw off regular tools.

2. Check weight of tools - for instance one rake we have is much heavier that what appears to be the same tool with a different handle. Lighter is better.

3. Use the hoes that look like a hoop on the end instead of a regular one - MUCH easier to use and more effective. You can "drag" them effectively instead of "hacking" like with a regular hoe.

4. Get a battery powered weedwacker - starts with a push button instead of pulling. Electric ones do the same, but cords are awkward. The battery powered one is sort of heavy, but I do a little at a time and not pulling the start cord makes it easier.

5. Check out a mantis tiller. They are about 20 lbs, but best of all they go forward and till by pulling back - easier to use from a chair. They work like crazy!

6. Don't know if you could use it with a wheelchair, but it works with an electric scooter: A Rubbermaid garden cart - made out of rubber/plastic. Incredibly light weight ( a small child can move it easily when its empty) and we made a little hitch so it will attach to the scooter. I pull it to where I want and if I am doing heavy duty weeding, I fill it. If it is too heavy, I just disconnect it and let my husband dump it with the tractor.

7. Get plastic electric ties. They will let you attach stuff to the wheelchair and just cut them when you want to remove things. For instance, a bucket can be attached. When you are through, cut it loose. They are cheap - tossin them after you cut them off is not a major cash outlay.

8. For in the house - might work in your garden, too -
    You can buy commerical Rubbermaid trash cans in several sizes: Pricey, but worth it. They have heavy duty casters and you can get a plastic/cloth tool caddy which hangs from the handles. I keep one in the house with all cleaning supplies in it and a heavy duty trash bag. When cleaning, I drag the whole thing room to room. Can empty trash cans, and do almost all cleaning chores without returning to cabinets, etc. The same thing could be used in the garden - weeds/dirt/etc. in the can and all your tools in the caddy. Top is heavy enough to use as a potting table. The small/medium size is about the right height for a wheelchair. The big one is good for scooter users.

The cans are grey and the heavy casters are removable - if you get one, spend the bucks (like $40/$50) and get the real thing. Ones meant for household use are too lightweight.

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

I thought I'd bump this one up. I haven't tried using any of the adaptable tools for handicapped people yet but I will definitely keep these in mind.

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

I guess we could start a bunch of new line product for people we disabilities. I have good days and bad one then really bad ones. I'm finding it really hard to keep up with household chores let alone doing gardening on top of it. Anything that makes it easier for me I'm willing to give it a try.
    This is a good thread thanks for starting it. The most helpful item I use is a wagon. Right now I'm not having to use a wheel chair but as of late that could change any time, so it's good to hear from others and how they manage gardening.

I sit or crawl around to do my work, Lord what the neighbors must think LOL.

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

Not a tool really, but this is what I plan on using. I have stone paths now but they are hard to walk on, much less roll on. I want these to make it easy to roll wheeled things and not make ruts.
    http://www.paversearch.com/grass-pavers-advantages.htm

If this link doesn't show enough, do a search for concrete grass grids

• susaninthegarden
    15 years ago

a friend of mine several years ago got a little cart that you can sit on and haul your tools around with you. i looked for one and couldnt find one for myself but... one of my kids had a cooler with wheels on one end. i found that i could weed and prune etc sitting on it and rolling it along.
    this weekend i went shopping to see if i could find one for myself and found a small cooler at walmart. it has cup holders in the lid and a plastic handle to drag it around with its wheels on one end. it is fairly short so it should be easy to do many garden tasks sitting on it. i am also planning on using it to tuck my garden tools and misc in to haul around with me. (not to mention some ice and a drink!)

its not expensive and looks to me like it will work great.

it was not intended for the garden or for accessible use but i see no reason for it not to be perfect and! when i do have to sit on the ground it will give me something to crawl back up on which is a big problem now.

it has to be a real sight seeing me try to stand back up after being on the ground weeding and one i would like to end!

• andre7775
    15 years ago

I didn't have to lean over as much, and was able to rake up lots of leaves/debris/sticks with a lot less effort and jarring impact. Just having my hands in better positions made things much easier. Definitely worth $12, since they work with my existing tools and can be switched between them.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden tool

• freshair2townsquare
    15 years ago

I don't remember the name of it, but I recently bought a sitting stool at Ace (I also saw them at Lowe's). It's dark green with a formed seat on top and a curved bottom so that it "rocks" in almost all directions. It allows you to sit at knee height (which is ideal positioning: joints at 90 degrees and thighs parallel to the ground) and will lean with you so that you can reach for things in most directions.

• jennylopez
    15 years ago

You must comfort with your sitting position. Other wise you have to face some problems of joint pains.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Jenny Lopez

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Alcohol Addiction Treatment