Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicemagooey

weeding tools required/ 'no kneel'

alicemagooey
20 years ago

yes,i need some "no kneel " weeding tools..

anyone have any experience with any good ones..

need the 'manual variety' (not the chemical variety)

any help would be appreciated.
thank you
alice

Comments (16)

• enchantedplace
    20 years ago

What kind of weeds? Here, the chickweed and henbit tend to take over in winter. The fastest and easiest thing we have tried is to lift the weeds with the tines of a pitch fork and toss them onto a tarp. If there is dirt attached to the root it can be shaken off later. I also have a 'weeder' tool with a handle long enough that I can sit on a tool box to weed, but I prefer sitting flat on the ground on a rug. Sometimes a weeding hoe will work and rake the weeds up later. I have removed about 5 large trash containers of weeds during the past couple of weeks without putting distress on the knees or back. Hope this helps. EP

• cburg
    20 years ago

I agree - I like the pitch fork for the tough 'embedded' weeds. For easy weeds, I like a long-reach cultivator or a telesco weeder. So much easier on the back!

• alicemagooey
    Original Author
    20 years ago

what's a 'telesco weeder??"

• enchantedplace
    20 years ago

Here is a link to teleso weeder. Thanks for the information, cburg. I'll come back later and look at your photo site. I had a knee replacement last summer with excellent recovery. Nice to be out gardening again. Another thing I forgot to mention, when sitting on the rug, I keep the tool box near by so I can scoot up onto the tool box when I want to get up. It saves strain on the knees and back. Good luck. EP

Here is a link that might be useful: telesco

• Scanehart
    20 years ago

The best gardening tool that you will ever need is called an ez digger or homi. It's a long handled Korean tool that does everything while standing up straight. I have two of them and keep them with me all the time. It does hoeing, weeding, and edging around all your plants.

I have MS and it has affected my legs and caused me to develope osteoarthritis in both knees. This tool helps me so much and I can even sit down to weed my garden.

I found it at http://www.home-garden-supply-catalog.com Go to tools and look up the long handled hand-plow(homi) This will be the best investment you ever bought for your garden.

Happy gardening,
    Marcia

• enchantedplace
    20 years ago

thank you.EP

Here is a link that might be useful: tool

• alicemagooey
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Bless you,Marcia,and many thanks!

and....
    Thanks again,"EP"
    alice

• alicemagooey
    Original Author
    20 years ago

here is the ref for long handled Korean implement recommended by Marcia.(see below)

thanks again for the source reference,Marcia.

And thanks,EP..you just found,and posted the reference for short handled one from the same place.

.i figure this post,this group,is really a community oriented one ,(seems like a bit of an inspirational support group also)You are a wonderful bunch of people..!color="magenta">(Although you would not admit to be such)so i have put the long handled reference below incase anyone else is interested in a good "no-kneel" tool...courtesy of Marcia

cheers!

and thanks to y'all
    alice

Here is a link that might be useful: long handled hand plow

• alicemagooey
    Original Author
    20 years ago

ok,Ed..how does it work..i went to the J.C.Lord website..i saw the tool,,but doesn't it just 'mangle the dandelion"
    The best dandelion and 'long-rooted weed removers' have been circular devices which surround the root.

have you actually USED the dandelion terminator?

• cburg
    20 years ago

i used my new uproot weeder today for the first time...it's unbelievable! fiskars just introduced it - no bending! uses your upper body and feet to lever the dandelions out by the roots....

Here is a link that might be useful: uproot weeder

• alicemagooey
    Original Author
    20 years ago

similar tool..a bit less expensive
    called
    Weed hound" i think 19.99 at Home depot.looks just like the fiskars,but not so lightweight and 'pretty'..looks like it might do the job.
    many thanks
    alice

• alicemagooey
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thank you,Ed..for your detailed post and the trial which you obviously gave the product "in the field"..
    many thanks indeed..the product seems to be one worth looking at.
    alice

• nina394
    19 years ago

I think "Edreed" should be upfront about his recommendation of the dandelion terminator... According to its website, he's the President and CEO of the company that makes it. I also think that for him to endorse his own product on this and many other GardenWeb forums is a violation of the Forum User Agreement. Ed, please stop!

• cburg
    19 years ago

i still love my telesco - it's so light and it's sooooo fast! i can get through all my gardens in one shot whereas i used to have to pick one at a time. i'll keep you all posted - the blade is still sharp and the pole hasn't given me any trouble yet. it's great for everything but long tap roots - which i've found that a fiskars uproot weeder works wonders! i can't believe that now i don't dread keeping the gardens weeded!
    PS: nina394- if you just registerd on the day you wrote the last post - how did you find that out about Edreed? were all the Edreed posts deleted?

• nina394
    19 years ago

cburg-- I love GardenWeb forums and have been reading them for quite some time. I registered so that I could alert forum members to Edreed's self promotion. I also notified the GardenWeb moderators, who must have then deleted all of Edreed's GardenWeb postings.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    9 years ago

these tools look really helpful and useful. Wish I could afford them.