Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rbrlubber

My Lasagna Garden Didn't Rot Down!!

rbrlubber
17 years ago

It's about time for me to plant snow peas in the lasagna beds I built last fall, but guess what...DH pulled the black plastic off and although things have compacted down several inches, the biggest part of the beds is almost 3/4

un-rotted. I mean, there are lots and lots of almost dry leaves in there. I don't see how I can possibly put seeds in, and it is hugely discouraging as I did just what the book said, wetting things down, and then covering them up with the plastic. We even uncovered the beds several times over the winter so snow could melt in to keep them moist. I guess it just wasn't moist enough. Is there any way to rescue this in time for our short growing season?

Comments (5)

• maryt_gardener
    17 years ago

Hi- I had the same problem this winter. I started my beds in December--we just moved here to the carolina area.

Anyhow- what I have been doing is pulling aside some mulch and adding a mix of compost/manure & bark mulch wherever I put a plant. As for my peas I put them in a pot.

I'm adding more mulch around the plants cuz its very hot here in summer and I really think the beds will be fine in the long run they just didn't rot as fast I wanted--but I'm ok with it.

A gardener friend of mine said she adds bark every spring to hers as a mulch--just a tip. she says it degrades faster than some other mulches and has added to her beds kept them friable and soft.

good luck--don't despair--everything rots eventually. Mary

• soil_lover
    17 years ago

Add more nitrogen material-blood meal, alfalfa meal, kitchen scraps, fresh cut lawn, etc
    The nitrogen is necessary to break down the carbon material.

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

DH pulled the black plastic off and although things have compacted down several inches, the biggest part of the beds is almost 3/4 un-rotted. I mean, there are lots and lots of almost dry leaves in there.

The black plastic keeps moisture from reaching the leaves, etc. The moisture promotes the rotting.

Here's great information on lasagna beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lasagna bed instructions

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

It has been my experience that leaves left whole don't rot for a long time. From what I have read about Lasagna gardening, they recommend that you cut up the leaves. I remember someone saying they sweep their leaves onto their driveway and run over them with the mower. Sweep them aside and create another pile and so on. Even up here in the Frozen Tundra (Wisconsin), leaves left on garden beds in fall won't decompose by spring.

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

Yes, you gotta have water.

To speed decomposition this summer, you might try adding alfalfa tea (alfalfa pellets from feed store mixed with water in a large bucket & left to ferment for a few days-& stand upwind when you apply it!)

You also can post on gardenweb's Soil Compost & Mulch Forum;
    there're lots of knowledgeable & helpful people over there.

Best luck!