Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purplelotus_gw

fence posts: how do I dig deep holes in this hard clay and rock

purplelotus
17 years ago

hi

our soil is very hard clay and rock. how do I dig holes for putting fence?

Comments (9)

• jazzyjack
    16 years ago

How do I plum the posts? If I am building a fence 57 linear ft. how would i know that the 2 end posts are inline?.
    How much cement should I put per post?

Thanks

• Belgianpup
    16 years ago

There is a right-angle plastic level that you can tie to a fencepost. Then you can make minor adjustments to get it perfectly straight. Look at BOTH bubbles

(Here's a photo of the post level: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisco-LB-000PL-Post-Level/dp/B0001GRWAO but any hardware store should know what you want if you describe it; not very expensive.)

Just make sure you get your end or corner posts in the right place, then do as Double G describes above, which is all good advice. Three feet is a good depth, but here in my part of western WA, the rocks won't usually allow it.

If you're using wooden posts, don't even THINK of not using concrete. Just tamp dirt and they'll rot away in just a very few years and you'll be doing it all over again. Fencing just isn't that much fun.

Sue

• sandsquid
    16 years ago

I have found (by lots of trail and error) that painting the fence-posts (at least the part in teh gorund) with KILZ Exterior primer, goes a LONG way in protecting the wood.

• Belgianpup
    16 years ago

Now, isn't THAT a great idea! I use Kilz for everything, but never thought of using it to protect fenceposts.

Sue

• hjvanbur_rochester_rr_com
    15 years ago

I am going to set posts and use 10ft 4x4 The fence is 6 ft and I want the posts 1 ft above the top of the fence - can I set the posts 3 ft deep? We get serious cold weather and I don't know if 36 inches is deep enough. Can I lay in 6 inches of cement in a 42 inch hole then set the post on top of this cement? I will still cement the post in place from there

• jollyrd
    15 years ago

I needed to secure wooden pallets to create compost bins, thought I would have to dig holes to put posts in my clay soil. Husband said "we can get you fence posts from farmers supply store and then pound them in with a special tool, no problem." So he comes home with posts and this heavy cast metal tube with one side closed, and two-handles, you slide the tube over the post, hold the handles and lift-drop the tube over the post; you need to have a second person hold the post for first few hits until it's in the ground, it does require lots of upper body strength, but no digging and filling in around the base. I did it myself too after I also tried using a mallet to pound the posts in - much harder, so the tube is the way to do it. I then slide my wooden pallets so that the posts are inside the pallet, but the posts are made for fencing -- they are green and come in different length - 3, 4 , 6 ft and longer.

• dellinger
    15 years ago

I'm digging 42" holes. How do you get the dirt out of the bottom 6"? My arm doesn't reach, and I can't open the post-hole digger wide enough because it's so far down.

Thanks!

• Dave Ingham
    8 years ago

Shop vac