Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snavlr

Ramping Codes

Snavlr
22 years ago

A close friend is in need of a ramp to access his garden from the back door, and I came across this site in our search for plans so the boys who have volunteered their time may construct it.

Thought it may be of interest to some on this forum.

http://www.alumiramp.com/adacodes.htm

Comments (6)

• Snavlr
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Cont....

If anyone has anything to offer re construction/pitfalls to avoid/anything, we're open to suggestions and we would more than welcome and appreciate any input.

• Bill_in_Detroit
    21 years ago

Thank you for those codes. They will help me plan my landscaping to allow for a future ramp.

• Jillrob
    21 years ago

The question for a ramp on a home is really what can the individual who is going to use it do? The slope on public buildings in not supposed to exceed 1 in 12. That is, you need a foot of ramp run for every inch of height change. So if you're ramping 2 steps of 8" each, the MINIMUM length of the ramp would be 16' (assuming the ground over which it runs is not also sloped). The problem is this is a fairly steep ramp. Not everyone can push up it easily enough to do it as often as you might wish in a home garden (especially if you're loaded down with tools or produce).

You might want to take your friend to a public building with a 1:12 ramp about the length you'll need and see if the push is comfortable before you build anything. Your friend might need a lesser slope, or may be able to push up a steeper slope (although that might change with age).

• Snavlr
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Bill_in_Detroit - so glad it helped.

Jillrob - such a good point to raise. My old mate has great difficulty with steps/stairs, and it is only a matter of a short time before an electric wheelchair will be a necessity. In the meantime, we thought a ramp out the back for access to his precious vegie garden and the car, would be where to start.

We are well aware of different grades of ramps and the relative difficulty in the 'climb' when using a walker. We had no idea however, how to find which grade each different ramp happened to be. Your explanation has given us something to go on. Thankyou.
    This of course, would not be such a problem if we were. constructing just for the electric wheelchair but my mate will keep going under his own steam for as long as he's able. We may have to go out aways, turn, and then come back on its own line if that makes sense. Glad it's our winter project!

• Jillrob
    21 years ago

Snavlr, that's called a "switch back" ramp. You need a level platform between the two, to turn around in.

"We may have to go out aways, turn, and then come back on its own line if that makes sense."

• Snavlr
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks Jillrob - I may now atleast sound as if I have an idea of what I'm talking about.