Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zinnia_gw

Roll out rubber path for wheelchair

Zinnia
22 years ago

Hi Folks, Just a question, I use an electric wheelchair and our yard has been too wet for me to roll around on for months now. We don't want to put in any type permanent path since our yard is somewhat small and it would detract from the gardens, we also like to have some grass. I wondered if there is some type of rubber mat that could be rolled out when the yard is wet and rolled up again when finished working in the garden. I tried plastic but the tires on my chair chew it to pieces, so it doesn't work. Any ideas.

Comments (22)

• Maigan
    21 years ago

Interesting dilemma. How much rolling space are you talking about? What types of plastic were you using? Have you tried using heavier plastic like rug runners you see in people's houses with the little grip teeth? It might work and you can get them cut into any length you need at Lowe's or Homedepot.

Hugs
    Maigan

• taba
    21 years ago

Sounds like a good idea to use a roll-up rubber path! Home Depot and Lowe's do carry rubber runners by the foot. Not sure if they *all* do, but I know I've seen it at a couple. You might also call around to carpet warehouse stores and used carpet stores to see what alternatives they may have. If they don't have it, check with real estate companies that use them in "show houses" to protect new carpets during walk-throughs. They may have a source.

Let us know how it works out.

• Newt
    21 years ago

What a great idea. I've spent time in a wheelchair and find that I need one from time to time. I have wall to wall carpet in the living room and don't go in there with the wheelchair because it's too difficult to wheel around.

Here's a site I found and a rubber mat that interlocks for runways and paths.

http://www.rbrubber.com/fleclock.htm

I did a search at www.google.com and put in "rubber mats" in the quotes and got over 100,000 hits.

I do remember seeing some type of rubber or vinyl type of floor covering that fits together like a puzzle used in kids playrooms. It comes in squares. The only 'problem' I would see with this product is that it comes in bright colors and might be too objectionable in a garden. I do remember it in green, though it was kind of a chartreuse color.

Newt

• Newt
    21 years ago

I was just reading the posts here. Did you see this one?

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/accessible/msg0323291925672.html?8

They talk about something called permaturf. Give this a look see and maybe it will help. Might be a great solution so you don't have to haul out a pathway and put it away.

http://www.permaturf.com/

Newt

• Texanne
    21 years ago

Looks like my reply got dropped...? I have used the black rubber matting made for lining pickup beds. Comes in rolls of about 4' wide X 8' long (less than $10.00 at K-Mart a couple of years ago.) Quite sturdy, but can be cut with household shears.

• lodinana
    21 years ago

Hi all,
    In the gardeners supply I saw rolls of composted rubber from
    old tires. You can roll it out and use it as a mower strip so why not a portable path??
    Dev

• Aggie80
    19 years ago

The Perma-Turf product referenced is actually a loose-fill crumb made for playgrounds, and won't do much to help with accessibility. I've seen folks use a similar product for making "kneeling paths" around their beds, but you said you don't want a permanent path. The real answer is to improve your drainage. Have you thought about grass pavers? You can get open concrete pavers that the grass grows through that won't be quite as obvious as a sidewalk. There's also a company in Colorado making a plastic version that comes in 40" squares and essentially disappears into the lawn. Good Luck

• Yellow22
    19 years ago

It could be an expesive project but wouldn't have to be rolled back up. In a deli look at what some slicers stand on. It's a mat with holes and I would think a grass can be grown through it and mowed over.

• Yellow22
    19 years ago

What about using old chain link fencing? Would that be something to have it just under the surface and grass growing through it? Just an idea, wondering if that would help a wheelchair move on wetter, muddy surfaces. It helps car get out of snow and ice.

• Debbie_N_Ontario
    19 years ago

Hi
    I have a scooter that I use when I need to go long distances. We used old skidoo tred up the ramp to give me good grip, even with snow on it.

You might be able to find some at a ski doo shop when they have to replace them on old ski doos. I don't know if it will be too heavy a tread for you though.

Debbie

• olddutchbear
    18 years ago

Hi Zinnia;
    When you find out what to use would you please let me know? I have the same problem as you (clay soil & rain = a nightmare). My house is on a 1/2 acre lot & I have a 100 x 90' backyard (house is 9 months old). Waiting for info from SC Parks Dept on what they use for hiking trails for wheelchairs. Hang on; Spring is on its way! I'm in Travelers Rest (25 miles S of Blue Ridge Mts) & everything is blooming. Tody = 80 degrees! Lookup www.heirloomroses.com = it's GREAT! Bye Bob

• destinycreation_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

My husband works for a paper company and unloads semi-trucks as part of his job. The truckers use thin rubber mats that are the length of the truck and about 5 feet wide. These are disposed of at the end of the delivery run, so we recycle them in the garden to create paths and keep the weeds down. You might want to check with some of your local trucking companies, they usually throw them away after use!

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

Better spiked tires, maybe run with dual wheels on each sde of chair

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

I usually do not post a website but I just thought there might be some here would would like to take a look at this website I ran across watching the news. The price is a bit steep for most of us but just maybe the ideal might help someone.
    http://www.actiontrackchair.com/Default.aspx
    The hard part is the $8,800 and up price
    Action Manufacturing, based in Marshall, Minn., has designed a chair with caterpillar tracks instead of wheels: a trackchair. With the Action Trackchair, the manufacturer touts, "you'll go places you didn't think possible", which includes the woods, the beach, in mud, on snow, etc.

Paul

• lora_l_ford
    7 years ago

http://www.ultimaterb.com/contact/ I have a similar problem. I have emailed this company. 4'x25' or 4'x50' rolls. Waiting on pricing.

• ophoenix
    7 years ago

Would this work? Price is good and I am sure it is not too heavy.

Orange-Heavy-Duty-PVC-Snow-Safety-Fence/ If it works - please let us know

• samsaraedu
    7 years ago

Maybe you can piece some of these together, the walkways come in wood or rubber,

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/wooden-walkways/363468

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/wood-look-rubber-outdoor-pathways/garden-decor/walkways-garden-bridges/329966

I know the give discount on shipping if you sign up for email.

• ophoenix
    7 years ago

Great product - thanks. I will try to contact the company to make sure that the rubber mats will take the weight of an electric wheelchair plus person.

• ophoenix
    7 years ago

Talked to son in electric wheelchair and he said that this was not wide enough - the min should be around 30 - 36 inches. He has slid off a narrow path and getting him and the several hundred pounds of chair back up is a real chore.

Any other ideas? I was not able to contact the company that makes these.

• samsaraedu
    7 years ago

I use a walker now, but....

I was thinking of using a few sets side by side either straight across or staggering so the edges interlock to get width and securing with u-shaped garden pins into ground.

I thought about that plastic rug runner with the gripping teeth I think its for shag carpet the teeth are longer, but then have to cut holes into with xacto knife to create drainage, by they time I finish season is over.

I remember seeing a tour in NJ that uses segways instead of walking tour thru woods, it was on groupon. maybe you can contact them and see what they do for traction on trails. I was too afraid to try.

• samsaraedu
    7 years ago

I saw this today. It looks like those thick mulch tree rings I've seen in stores. Maybe these side by side may work for width, but I'd still secured with pins.

http://www.plowhearth.com/permanent-mulch-pathway.htm