Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rtinfl

Just a thought on accessability

RTinFL
21 years ago

While responding to an email, I started thinking about garden accessability for people. One idea I had, was a track system used by the film industry for camera dollys. The track is easy to assemble and lightweight. It may be a little pricey though. I dont know what type of chair would sit on it, since that would depend on each individuals needs. A swivel chair can be used to garden 2 sides at the same time. Also the tubes can be curved to go around corners.

Now this is all professional type stuff, so like I said it can be pricey. But it also seems that there are enough people here with enough innovation that I bet a dolly system on rails could be built for a reasonable amount of money. Check the link to see the type of railing I am talking about. You would need wheels to fit the tube you use, with some way of securing the whole thing so no one topples out of the chair, or that the railing can not flip due to extending out too far. Someone with some welding experience would be nice, but I imagine that the welding might be able to be a donated service. Bending the material would have to be carefully made so that the rails stay fairly parallel through the turns. Perhaps one set of wheels on sliders would be usefull too, so the track can get more narrow or wider if needed.

The advantage of this, is that it is very easy to move on using a little bit of force. maintenance on this type of system would be neccesary, but probably not too bad, depending on the metals used and design.

I make this suggestion because hydroponics is great, and container gardening can be very rewarding as well, but there is just something about digging in the dirt that many people enjoy. Its something a little more dirty or earthy than containers, and definatley more earthy than hydroponics. Its more of a connected type of feeling.

Hope someone can take this idea and run with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: professional camera dolly track

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths