Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Straw bale gardening

Posted by peacebird5 z6PA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 08 at 23:47

Straw bale gardening is easy and accessible. There are a fw websites out there relating to strawbale gardening, and they're worth taking a look at. Strawbale gardening means no howing, no tilling, no weeding - except for what grows in the straw.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Straw bale gardening

has anyone in zone 3 tried straw bale gardening? I think this is just the ticket for me with a wonky back.

o

I'm in zone 4, and I'm going to try it next year. If you can grow veggies in zone 3, I don't see why this wouldn't work for you as well. In fact, I would think the bales of straw would hold heat and that would be an advantage in your zone. I think it's a terrific idea, even if you don't have a "wonky" back. It's great for the soil, and for the vegetables as well. I did find one site that really showed off straw bale gardening. He has tons of photos showing how he did it, step by step, and every layer he put into it. He used a lot of mushroom compost, which I do not have available to me, so I will use something else. I'll have plenty of compost, plus plan to use layers of leaf mold and anything else I can think of. I'm going to put heavy cardboard on the bottom to keep the weeds down. Anyway, Len also has tons of photos of all the beautiful veggies he grew -- tons of them! He got quite a crop! And it didn't look like a lot of work either. Hope this helps. MacThayer

Here is a link that might be useful: Len's Home Page

o

I almost gave up on gardening. The weeds were a pain, the soil was clay and very little nutrients..So i started researching no dig type gardens and was HOOKED...the best gardening experience I have ever had. If you want photos of a straw garden,and info on how to get it started check out this site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here