Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheila7863

I LOVE The New Hose I Got!!

Sheila7863
21 years ago

I have back problems AND balance problems, and I had many falls and owies last year from tripping over and dragging my heavy rubber hoses all over the yard.

I LOVE the new hose I bought!! It is one of those coiled spiral hoses. It is probably 1/2" diameter, has nice brass fittings, and weighs virtually nothing! It even came with a nice variable spray head. BEST of all, I can just spray it out, sling it over in the corner, and I'm DONE!!! I got mine at QVC for around $25.

Comments (27)

• Fireraven9
    21 years ago

I have one of those indoors! I love it. Outside I have to use a regular hose and since most of the stuff is on drip water ... I will be aranging that a hose is left by the vegetable garden so I can do hand watering that I need to do without dragging it across half an acre.

Fireraven9
    What potent blood hath modest May. - Ralph W. Emerson

• Slvr
    21 years ago

Hi,

I saw these hoses at a local mall and they were really high priced! I think I saw them at Restroration Hardware. There were two sizes...the smaller was $60 and the larger one was about $80. I think.

Where did you get one for $25? QVC? what store is that? I am in New England.

Thanks,
    Slvr

• EDWINS58
    21 years ago

TRY GARDENER'S SUPPLY COMPANY IN VERMONT. THEY HAVE A GREAT CATALOG. I VISITED THE STORE LAST YEAR. ALSO, ON THEIR STREET IS A COMPOSTING SITE. GREAT GARDENS AND GENERATING PLANT THAT BURNS WOOD SCRAP.

• adrianag
    21 years ago

Home Depot has them for $20.

• BeverlyAL
    21 years ago

SLVR,

QVC is a television station that sells different types of products all day, every day. I don't know if you can get it there or not. It is on cable here.

• BeverlyAL
    21 years ago

I've looked at those hoses but thought they would get tangled like coiled telephone cords. Do they?

• adrianag
    21 years ago

THey don't get tangled, but the CAN snag on things, but a little bit of care and anticipation of obstacles takes care of this.

• stimpy926
    21 years ago

Hey, just popping in here to visit, and I bought 2 of them this summer from Home Shopping Network.. They work fine, do get kinked at times and cut off the flow, and they do NOT spring back in shape like a slinky all the time,,, HOWEVER, that all still beats lugging around heavy 50' rubber hoses with these double tendonitis elbows of mine! If you have strength problems, get them, they're worth it.

• punky36
    21 years ago

I purchased one one those to use indoors at Home Depot for about $20.00 and it works great. If I attach it to the bathroom sink, I can water all my house plants and those on my porch and outdoor stairs without having to go back and forth to fill my watering can. I am unable to carry anything too heavy and so it saves me many trips. Also I noticed that for about the SAME price there ARE different qualitites. Mine does coil back, you just have to be a little careful when you return it to the place you store it. Just let it coil back slowly and it doesn't tangle. (I keep mine in a large basket next to the faucet that has the fixings to attach it)
    I have tried it outdoors and because it only extends to 50' maximum, by the time I get out of the garage (where my faucet is), there isn't much hose left and so I can only water a very small area, unless one has multiple places to attach it.
    I have found that the soaker hose works best for me. I needed a little help putting it down the first time (as THIS DOES tangle while you are trying to wind it around the roots of the plants.) I purchased two 100' hoses and where I required no water (between the beds) I used my regular hose and attached one Hose to the other. I secured them into the earth with metal pins (they took like large hairpins) and are not expensive, even when the rust they still function well.
    I guess I will need a little help again in the Spring when I move a few of the perennial to better locations, then the soaker hose will need some adjusting, however, I will not lift it entirely (just move one section at at time).
    I am told that there are timers available that are not too expensive, that will allow me to turn the water on and off. However, so far I have not found one that I can afford. If anyone knows of a place where I could find one, I would really appreciate it. I live in Zone 5 (Quebec,Canada)
    Hope some of this was of help to those who had questions and perhaps someone will be able to help me find a timer.
    Punky.

• stimpy926
    21 years ago

punky - there's some info. at Gardener's Supply...
    http://www.gardeners.com/default.asp

• PatienceDonkey
    21 years ago

I bought two of the coiled hoses for $14 each, including the sprayer thingy. I haven't used them yet. I found them at Mainly Seconds in Brea. After reading these posts, I will try them.
    Lilly

• bulldinkie
    21 years ago

I too got one on qvc I dont like it. They would be great for like small jobs,greenhouses etc but I found it to be a pain in the butt. You cant seem to control the sprayer it wants to coil,its too narrow , at last the hose pulled off the brass coupling one day so I threw it away less hassle.Did you ever drop it? youll get wet believe me. I wanted to use it to add water to pond I had to sit a rock on it and then it coiled up and was spraying water up in the air.

• peachiekean
    21 years ago

I've been checking them out and after reading this post, will wait for Consumer Reports to test and rate them. I hate spending my hard earned money on inferior products. The idea is nice but I want good quality at a reasonable price.

• adrianag
    21 years ago

Follow-up report, after less than 6 months in my greenhouse, my hose is starting to kink, stopping the water flow. I do not recommend them because of this...aargh!

• fuzzy
    21 years ago

I've had mine for a year and love it-- saw them at Sam's Club (warehouse store) for $10 each. I'd pay $10 yearly to not have to struggle with coiling and uncoiling a regular hose...

• sowngrow (8a)
    21 years ago

Sheila I think I saw your post about this in another forum too but can't remember which one.
    I bought a short one at H Depot, marked down to only $3, because the package was torn.
    So far, so good on mine.
    I use it in my greenhouse.

• Amunhotep4th
    21 years ago

One of our local garden stores sells end pieces, complete with fittings for $5.00. The lengths vary somewhat and I got mine in an 8 foot length which is perfect for me. The hose is very high quality and large diameter.

Maybe one of your stores there does them same or might custom cut one for you. Five bucks is dang well cheap and I am super pleased.

Before I had a much longer one and was always tripping over it or it was simply in my way.

Problem solved! :-)

• Holly_ON
    20 years ago

I just got mine and absolutely love it. I no longer get short of breath trying to wind a heavy hose back on the reel.

• julieyankfan
    20 years ago

Don't ever buy those new flat hoses that are out. I got one from Home Shopping and it was a disaster. I wouldn't roll back up or flatten out and it got a bubble in it. I sent it back and they refunded the money. I see them now everywhere, so beware.

• gscarr
    20 years ago

Someone makes a holder for this type of hose. I don't remember where I saw it. Maybe GARDEN SUPPLY COMPANY. I use mine to wash the house/RV/deck with one of those brushes on a extension handle that squirt water-bought it at home Depot.

• Catherine30
    20 years ago

I just 'bought' a 75' coiled hose on eBay for 21.99 plus
    mailing. I thought this was a good buy, considering the
    price I paid for the 50' one I bought last year. I love
    it because I can simply hang the business end over the water outlet and without being all coiled up it still looks rather neat.

• desiderata
    20 years ago

julieyankfan...no kidding about that flat hose...I bought one late last summer. The original idea was on target. It was great, too, in the beginning. I didn't need that green plastic thing to rewind it, because I was watering too often and it was only 25'. So, this Spring, I get it out and start watering again. A couple weeks later, it starts to spray a thin spray from the cloth covering. I think, well, maybe it's cuz I didn't winter it over. I take it to the hardware store and the guy says, "gee, I never see these come back, unless the plastic rewinder gets broken. I feel guilty for taking it back, for the little hole, in the cloth. I pay $10 extra dollars and get a 50' one instead, cuz they're on sale. Go home, water one day. Water next day. Third day, I feel a fine mist on me. Hmmmmm, this time I'm suspicious, so I take it back, with no guilt. Different salesman, different response. He says, as he laughs, "These have been the most worthless hoses that the manufacturers put out...good concept, though". I exchanged it for a regular Ace Hardware generic 60' hose and got money back, in the process. So, I bought a big and beautiful full pink rose, named 'Simplicity' with the extra refund. I'll stay with the ol' 'tried and true' type of hose, for my money, thanks anyway.

Becky .(*_*).

• MegNYC
    19 years ago

I love my coiled hose, and so does my husband, who has no disabilities! I suspect tho, that it's good for smallish areas ... we only have a patio to take care of. Just have to be careful with it, I was careless and decapitated one of my peonies :( But it sure beats the heck out of pulling and tugging and rewinding a 'normal' hose!

• Nancy in Mich
    19 years ago

The coiled hoses have never appealed to me because I can just see me pulling it "around" something like a tall allium in bloom, and having it spring "boing!" back and decapitate the flowers. I am too much of a clutz! I do love my new hose in a reel cassette, though. It is a half inch hose in a small cassette and is lightweight. One I had in the past was a full size hose. The end of the hose with the nozzle reeled out, so you set the cassette down and pulled the hose out. That did not work as well as my new one. The new one has the nozzle on a fixed smal piece of hose coming out of the cassette, and the long end that goes to the faucet is what gets reeled out. So you are always holding the cassette, and can more easily walk along as you pull the hose out, and can reel it all back more easily on the return trip. No more going back to the reel and hoping the nozzle does not get hung up on a rock as you reel in the hose. Mine looks like this one here. Most of the ones I found when I did a search are the large Ames ones, and they just look bigger and heavier than mine, and look like they have the inefficient design where the nozzle end is the end that gets puled out of the cassette.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look for cassette halfway down the page

• Debbie_N_Ontario
    19 years ago

I have one of these hoses and I find them to be a pain. Mine gets tangled and snagged on lots of things. I think it would be ok if u didn't have to go around corners and pots and stuff. It is light but gets tangled faster every year I use it.

Debbie

• mikeandbarb
    19 years ago

I got mine at a garage sale for 2 bucks :) NEW NEVER USED. I haven't tried it out yet it's just been sitting in my garage but from the sound of it, it might be just want I need. Rolling up the hose is getting to be more than I can take now days.
    To bad it's raining today and I don't need to run out and water something to try this hose out LOL.

I do love finding a bargain

Barb

• joannpalmyra
    13 years ago

I realize I'm a year late, but I have a question about the Reel Easy... does it wind back up automatically?
    Rewinding a hose around the hanger is the very bane of my existence (along with putting gas in the car) so it often ends up laying in the yard between uses. ~JoAnn