Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Am Fortunate-----

Posted by jenny570 z6-OH (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 03 at 13:05

I feel very fortunate to have young people who live close to me, and who are willing to do odd jobs. The boy is seventeen now and has recently started a regular job at a pizza place, and I will miss him greatly! His sister also does yard work for me. They are both willing to work and to listen and learn how I like things done. It is such a blessing to be able to find good helpers, and we all benefit from the arrangement. When my knees need a rest I sit and supervise. Without the help of these young people there are many projects that would have not been completed. Sometimes teenagers get a bad 'rap,' but if you need part-time garden help and can find young people in your neighborhood who need work, and who know how to work, it can be a blessing to all of you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Am Fortunate-----

That's wonderful, Jenny!

I, too, have some young people that help me with my gardening projects. I could not do it all by myself. They are eager to help and anxious to learn all about gardening.

Just think...we could be opening a whole new interest for them. If not now, in their busy teen lives - but, perhaps, when they get older and have a place of there own to garden. We have been planting another kind of seed.

It really is wonderful.

....Beverly

o

I agree; there are many wonderful young people out there today! Actually, there are many wonderful people of all ages. I've never been turned down or looked sideways at whenever I've asked someone for help. I've found that as long as I have a smile on my face, others usually do, too. And how good it must make the young people feel to know that they are really needed, appreciated and that they can help and make a difference in someone's life. You're right, Jenny, finding young people to help out in the garden can be a good thing for everyone involved.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Pond Garden

o

I have to say even though I am older now, but I have to thank a older neighbor who used to recruit my younger brother and I when we were kids to help with her backyard garden. I believe it was because of her and a little of my parents too that gave me my love of gardening today. Her husband and her had an extremely large garden and every year she would come over and ask if we would like to help pick sweet corn, green and wax beans, tomatoes, green peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, and too many other items that I can't even remember anymore! She never paid us in money just food, as we used to be able to bring our portion of the veggies back to my parents(and on the way back eating alot of it too!)
Thanks Mrs Donnelly.
;) (Good memories there.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here