Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
String trimmer for 83 year old?

Posted by John__ShowMe__USA 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 03 at 18:17

My DOM is obsessed with keeping her yard & garden neat. A gas weedeater is just too much for her to handle. Are there similar lightweight battery powered tools that would do what a weedeater does? She is quite mobile and has no problem with being on her hands and knees working in the garden. Perhaps something on wheels? Or something really small? No extention cords please.

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: String trimmer for 83 year old?

I'm 'only' 70 , but have fibromyalgia and arthritis.
I bought a light-weight electric weed eater , and find that I can use it quite easily. Maybe that would work for your mother.
I admire her for wanting to continue 'doing' her yard!

o

gardeningangel,

I'm thinking about getting the one in the link below.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: GrassHog

o

John,
It looks like the one I got from WalMart.

o

I'm only 55 - but have physical limitations - Weedeater came out with a new super lightweight, easy to start weedeater that is really cheap and does a super job - I'm very impressed - - - other than that I would recommend an electric one with a long extension cord (but be sure to ask a person "in the know" to get you the right amp for the length of the extension as well as the amp of the weedeater). The electric ones are really lightweight. barb

o

HI..I have had several surgeries..shoulder,ankles, ,knees, etc and can not manage a heavy weedwacker either..plus I could never start a gas powered ones and electric ones get in the way..dragging cords etc. We just found the perfect thing for me a few months ago at sears.. Its a rechargeable battery powered weed eater. It is great for edging grass around our pool, landscape ties etc. And..I dont have to ask anyone to crank it for me..no smell..no cords..not very loud.. Im well pleased with it..Always starts..easy to use and handle..Might just be exactly what you are looking for.
Hope this helps and Happy Gardening..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here