Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marie99_gw

What to do under weeping willow tree

marie99
17 years ago

I am radically reducing the amount of garden I keep, because I can no longer keep up with it. I'm also replacing things with bulbs and other-tough-as-old-goats plants when they die or start to look like they are even thinking of dying. I have a weeping willow tree that has a ring of flowers around it. The roots are so close to the surface I'm afraid digging in there would damage the tree. A few years ago, I put down cheap garden cloth and a few pine needles under there. I had hoped the flowers would grow inwards towards the tree. Not much luck there yet.

What I do have under there is either yellow rag weed or something very similar that blooms in the fall and gets blamed for making everyone for miles have hayfever, if I don't "do something", and wild blackberries which are indestructible and make weeding harder.

On the weekends, I usually get up and put the dogs out and then go back to bed. Today I weeded that ragweed stuff a while. Right now, it hasn't flowered so it doesn't make anyone sick. it won't flower for 2-3 months.

I'm thinking in a few weeks, when I have more money, to ride through the flowers on the riding mower to get in there, mow all the 'ragweed' all flat, and put down something indestructible that would still let the tree have water. No idea what this magic substance is, but I think I need some.

What should I use?

Comment (1)