Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do under weeping willow tree

Posted by marie99 z8 SC (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 11, 06 at 7:24

I am radically reducing the amount of garden I keep, because I can no longer keep up with it. I'm also replacing things with bulbs and other-tough-as-old-goats plants when they die or start to look like they are even thinking of dying. I have a weeping willow tree that has a ring of flowers around it. The roots are so close to the surface I'm afraid digging in there would damage the tree. A few years ago, I put down cheap garden cloth and a few pine needles under there. I had hoped the flowers would grow inwards towards the tree. Not much luck there yet.

What I do have under there is either yellow rag weed or something very similar that blooms in the fall and gets blamed for making everyone for miles have hayfever, if I don't "do something", and wild blackberries which are indestructible and make weeding harder.

On the weekends, I usually get up and put the dogs out and then go back to bed. Today I weeded that ragweed stuff a while. Right now, it hasn't flowered so it doesn't make anyone sick. it won't flower for 2-3 months.

I'm thinking in a few weeks, when I have more money, to ride through the flowers on the riding mower to get in there, mow all the 'ragweed' all flat, and put down something indestructible that would still let the tree have water. No idea what this magic substance is, but I think I need some.

What should I use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do under weeping willow tree

It sounds like you have goldenrod under the tree.

It blooms at the same time as ragweed & gets the blame for making people sneeze, but really it's the ragweed's fault.

I don't disturb goldenrod in my garden.
It makes a beautiful, brilliant yellow punctuation mark when everything else is ho-hum boring.

I wouldn't bet on anything voluntarily spreading toward shade & away from sun;
most plants would migrate toward the sun, out from under the tree canopy.

Beneath & around my weeping willow right now, there's some tough coastal bermuda grass (the stuff they bale here in Texas to make hay!) & a few Mexican Primroses.

Little by little, I'm weeding out the bermuda & leaving the wildflowers.

Once every summer, I cut them back, & they always bloom the following spring.

Any area not colonized by the Mexican primrose can remain bare, covered with a thin layer of mulch.

If you don't like the look of mulch, & you don't want Mexican primrose, you might use English ivy, vinca, or some other low-maintenance, shallow-rooted groundcover.

Coleus is beautiful & colorful, but this is the first year I've used it:
I'm *thinking* it freezes in the winter & you have to take cuttings & keep them on a sunny windowsill all winter & then re-plant it in the spring.

Best luck!

sylvia

(ps:I think we gardeners fret ourselves silly over what'll grow under a tree:
the tree doesn't want anything under there drinking up its water, & most plants don't want to be under the tree, anyway.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here