Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A tangent, perhaps - healthcare cost and the cost of water.

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 13:59

It just occurred to me as I am setting here staring at some medical and utility bills that accessibility is not all lumbago and rheumatism. I have discontinued a number of ornamentals and vegetables because of cash flow considerations.

This is no time for me to be growing potatoes for example. [Total precipitation here last year was about 6 inches, mostly snow.]

This post was edited by albert_135 on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 14:09

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A tangent, perhaps - healthcare cost and the cost of water.

bump down

o

Consider this and you might not have to depend on precipitation as much. Good luck!

Wood Chips-The Secret to Effortless, Inexpensive Biodynamic Gardening
October 05, 2014-By Dr. Mercola

" Water shortage was in fact part of what inspired Paul when he first began. He’d moved from Los Angeles to Washington State where he built a house and planned an orchard. The problem was, his well didn’t produce enough water for irrigation.

“It was August ‘79... It didn’t rain the whole summer... And I’m saying, ‘God, how am I going to grow fruit trees for my family without water?’”

His answer lay in the woods behind his house. Those trees were all lush and green, and when he poked around, he realized they were surrounded by deep, dark, lush, fertile soil" courtesy of all the fallen leaves and twigs that had never been cleared away.

“I started planting my trees and covering [them]. At that time, I had straw and sheep manure; now I’m doing the wood chips,” he says. “My orchard has not been watered or fertilized for 35 years, and it’s produced abundantly beyond what people can imagine...

Wherever you live, there’s something in nature that you can use to cover the ground with. If you have nothing but rocks, they make a great cover. You can grow wonderful gardens in rocks because rocks are minerals and they hold moisture...

Whatever you’re growing, put it back. It’s that simple. If you’re raising corn, chop the stalks and put them back. If you’re raising grain, put the straw back.

Whatever you use, put it back... Any organic material lying on the ground will decompose, return to the soil, and the plants work out. It’s so commonsense simple.”

A link that might be useful:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/10/05/wood-chips-ground-cover.aspx

o

"Putting it back" as described is a sure fire way to spread and perpetuate disease. Your garden or fruit trees are not a natural forest environment - what works for the forest does not work for the garden or an isolated fruit tree.

Compost it. And discard any material from diseased or pest-infested plants. Clean up dropped fruit and compost that as well. It will still help your garden, eventually, while protecting your plants from pests and diseases.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here