Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmpman1974

Raised Garden Bed Question - Need Help Fast!

cmpman1974
18 years ago

I mentioned I am adding a fer raised wooden beds to my existing garden. I constructed two 4' wide x 12' long x 10" high beds made of untreated wood (not pressure treated). I had my topsoil / compost delivered Saturday and filled both beds yesterday.

I am making one more 4' wide x 4' long bed since I have some extra dirt. Why waste dirt, right? :)

Now, the big problem. My dad suggested I waterproof the garden beds with a sealer. I did this already on the two large beds. When I was at Home Depot today, they told me to NOT use waterproofing sealant on garden beds if I am eating the produce.

Did I make a big mistake? I paid $50-$60 for the wood so I seriously hope not. Of course, I am not willing to risk my health over the cost. Any thoughts on this topic? I feel stupid since I didn't use pressure treated wood because of the arsenic content (supposedly) and then I put chemicals on the untreated wood.

Coincidentally, I waterproofed the beds outside and it killed all the grass the stuff dripped on - kind of scary. I used Olympia clear waterproofing sealer.

What would all of you do? My dirt cost me about $100-$125 I hope it's not contaminated already!

As much as I try to read and learn, there's always something I don't think about!

I look forward to your responses.

Chris

Comments (6)