Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bertal_gw

New Guinea Impatients

BertAl
21 years ago

Hello Folks, i need info about New Guinea Impatients. Do i buy seeds or is the only way to multiply plants is with cuttings? Thanks .... Bert

Comments (8)

• Belgianpup
    21 years ago

They can be started from seed, but I don't know the requirements. Why not go over to the PROPAGATION section & ask there?

• michele359
    21 years ago

Hi,
    I have new guinea impatients in a hanging basket, and they are wilting. I have been watering them and they are in moderate sunlight. I know it is fall. Do they die in the fall and come back in the spring?

• BertAl
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Hi, It sounds like they are starving. They do have a massive root system and could be outgrowing the basket. Water keeps them alive but not healthy. You could attempt splitting the root and using another basket giving them more soil and nutrients. They do well from cuttings under good fluorescent lighting and you could have blossoms before summer. They don't like the cold! Good luck... Bert

• Chef_Wil
    21 years ago

Michele,
    NGI die in the winter, first good freeze and they are done. They can be started next spring from seed, cuttings kept in house, or just buy new. I keep seeds from my plants during summer and I'm not sure where to buy them, maybe do a search or check in the plant exchange.
    I have 4 cuttings going now, they seem to die off then you see a little shoot of new leaves start at the top. First 2 years I threw them out then I saw the leaves on a pot I had set in the greenhouse and forgot. I had really taken off.
    Wil

• marglunn
    21 years ago

I've been reading the messages on NGI. Thank you I haven't been able to get info any place else.

I'm getting ready to move my NGI from one pot to another can I take cuttings now or should I leave it alone and wait until spring to start new plants?
    ML

• BertAl
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Hi, i'm not an expert on the NGI but with my experience, i think i can help you. I have taken cuttings from these plants at various times of the season and had success, i have also kept mature plants under lights in my cellar during winter for spring planting. If you are going to keep them through winter, you'll have to cut them back.. it's worth a try. I hope this helps you.... Bert

• prissy_z5
    20 years ago

My apartment manager bought several hanging baskets awhile ago. Some red some orange. The reds are doing well, but all the orange are trying to die. I recognize frost damage and this is not that. All the mature leaves turn brown starting at the stem end and fall off. The new growth seems to be healthy and he is trying to rescue the plants. Can someone tell me what might be happening to the plants?

• angie_gardener
    17 years ago

Where can you buy new guinea seeds? I have been trying to search the web and I only found seeds for the orange type. I am trying to find seeds that willproduce pink/violet colors. Can anyone help? Please :(