Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Optimal height for wheelchair accessible bed

Posted by CarrieB z6b/7a Phila. (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 4, 02 at 16:46

Hello all,

We are planning on adding a "senior" bed at our community garden, and would like to make it accessible for people in wheelchairs. Any dimensions or other pertinent information (I did print out a few of the posts about path materials) is welcome.

Thanks,

Carrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Optimal height for wheelchair accessible bed

well, it depends on how high the chairs are really and how flexible the people who are going to use the bed are. a perfect height would be at least 30 inches high so they can reach across it easily and no more than 3 ft across. unless you are designing it for more than one person to work in the same bed. You might want to ask the people who are going to use it how they think it would best serve them. That would make them feel like they are really apart of the plan instead of just having one built for them and saying "here, plant something" I hope that helps. Good luck

o
RE: Optimal height for wheelchair accessible bed

My beds are 2' high, and are perfect for me. Most wheelchairs are the same height (the seat is 19" off the ground), so this will probably work for most people.

The width is more individualized because it depends on how far over you can lean without falling over. My trunk muslces aren't all that rigorous, and I have to work at working the back of my beds, 2' away. I could lean an elbow in the bed for support, but then I'm compressing my soil. (I've been thinking of getting a piece of wood to lay across the bed to lean on when I'm working the back.)

Needless to say, you want to use the thinnest material you can find to make the beds (untreated wood, probably)so you don't waste that small area that's within reach.

If you're in an area where people have horses or other large animals, you can get their leaky old stock watering tanks. They are a perfect height, and sizeable enough for theme beds. I've got 2 herb beds in stock tanks and also 3 for tomatoes and peppers. The added benefit is that the voles can't get at the goodies inside.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here