Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
being sensible after back surgery

Posted by idabean (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 02 at 23:37

I had two cervical vertabrae removed and a fusion a month ago. I am doing very well, but would appreciate both encouragement and caution to get through the next two months of wearing a very impressive Miami J collar.

First I hired real, true gardeners to weed, fertilize and mulch. No he-men mow and blowers; women who know their stuff. (sorry, that is sexist, and I'm really not that, being a 50 year old feminist)

Very expensive, very rewarding.

However, I can't seem to strike a balance, or literally find the position, or figure out how to limit myself so I don't end of hurting or too tired.

The mantra is take it easy, pay attention to how I feel, use common sense, and a few other sensible thoughts.

I feel extremely grateful that I can walk a mile now, instead of just a block....but how the garden--even the weeds beckon.

Thank you for the opportunity to talk.

Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: being sensible after back surgery

Hi Marie,

It is great to hear that your cervical disc fusion was a success! Take it from someone who has "been there, done that"! It is very difficult surgery and a lengthy recuperation.

Here are a few suggestions, when you feel strong enough. Try to "surf the web a lot", catch up on all your summertime reading, take your "cat naps" frequently, listen to the doctors, and wear the "height of fashion", which is your cervical collar. You have my sincere sympathy. I wore a "Philadelphia" collar, which is a rigid plastic contraption for the first month, and then graduated to a soft collar the second month. I wore a lot of my husband's button down shirts, because I was unable to pull a shirt over my head. Be grateful for the tiniest accomplishments, such as, climbing a flight of steps and it didn't take you 1/2 hr. to do it, walking without being in pain, fixing yourself something to eat without someone self doing it for you, cherish your family and their loving support, lean on friends during your recuperation, enjoy sitting outside and feeling the warm sun on your face, marvel in the beauty of nature all around you, and the chirpping birds that are singing their daily songs to you.

Cherish every moment and know that you have overcome a difficult hurdle and the healing process will take time. Try to be patient! I know that it is easier said than done. Two months seems like forever........but, in the grander scheme of things, it is but a blink of an eye.

I hope your recuperation continues to go well and if you ever want to chat, you may e-mail me.

The very best of luck to you,

Shirley

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here