Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rwh1_gw

Gardening Queries?

rwh1
21 years ago

Hi, Im a Product designer carrying out an MSc at Teesside University. For my major project I am concentrating on the garden, particularly the problems people have when gardening. I dont have a specific product in mind to design and was wondering if any of you could help.

I would like to know of any problems you have when gardening, any jobs you dont like doing or jobs you struggle with. Any tools that are difficult to use? e.t.c

Also i'd be interested in the activities you do enjoy in the garden, what is it about them you like?

I would be more than grateful if anyone could help,

yours sincerely,

Rob H.

Comments (6)

• mtgirl
    21 years ago

Email me if you like. I have two bad knees and difficulty gardening.

• Belgianpup
    21 years ago

On one of the other posts in this section, a person was describing his/her problem:

"Due to back problems I have trouble with weeding. I can do it lying down on my side (dirty, but ok!) but sometimes when I am really bad I can't get up!
    I already have a reacher device which I use to pick up objects, etc. If it would work I would use it for what I'm about to describe, I would - but it won't. It's not strong enough.

What I need is an object that has about a 3 foot handle (I'm short:) and a claw end that will grab a weed and pull it out of the ground. None of the "gadgets" out there work for me. The garden claw is great but not what I need for this. The Weed Hound won't work because I have serious balance problems and fall over using it.

The only thing I can visualize is the apparatus that is used on a wringer sponge mop - you know how it grips and locks and won't let go? That's what I need. But I need an idea for the "business end" to grip the weed with."

• ned_rag
    21 years ago

I'm thinking of finding a very long drill bit with the paint mixer on the end, hooking it up to my cordless drill, going out to my garden and telling the weeds to "make my day".

Arthritic Dee

• taba
    21 years ago

I looked and looked for very spongy but firm, weatherproof, ergonomically-correct cushions for gardening tools that I already own. Like hand trowels, hoes, shovels, etc.

I want something to retrofit tools I've had or inherited, but now have trouble using because of hand, arm, and back pain. It needs to reduce jarring impact and correct the grip angle if possible, and not disintegrate if left outside every once in a while. I know there are gloves for people who use jackhammers, so maybe a glove would be possible if it still allowed you to use fingertips.

Just an idea.

• Chef_Wil
    21 years ago

I use neoprene divers gloves (5 mm thick) with the fingers cut out for a lot of high impact work. The rubber absorbs the shock and the gloves help me grip better. I also use thick rubber bands around my knife handles to improve the grip. I really helps with the arthritic pain. Maybe a similar product with vents or something that can be adapted to fitting tool handles.

• punky36
    21 years ago

I believe the Gardenscape Tools (were a sponser of GardenWeb) not certain if they still are, however, they just might have the answers to some of the problems posed. Taba, they have two items that may interest you. The First is called a Garden Wrap and it is $14.00 Canadian. The description says: This wrap fits either hand, helps restrain wrist movement and protects against impact and vibration. There is a protective palm cushion, breathable mesh lining, adjustable elastic strap with velcro closing and padded reinforcement stays to help keep the wrist stationary. Washable. One size fits all. And the second is made by Motus - Add-One Handles. The are ergonomically designed to increase lifting, pushing power and leverage while decreasing back & wrist strain. Use the D-grip on shovels/forks with back handles acting to move the fulcrum to the lower hand for lifting heavier loads with greater ease. The T-grip mounts at right angles on straight shaft tools (like rakes, hoes) to give pushing and pulling control to the back hand. Used together they work or optimize movement and strength.(A) T-Grip is $7.00 Cdn and (B) the D-Grip is $10.00 Cdn.
    Belgianpup: The same place has a Wiser Weeding Blade that works great, however the overall length is 18 1/4 " Not certain if that is long enough for you. It is $10.00 Cdn. They have a web site: www.gardenscape.ca and they are the nicest people to deal with. If you make a purchase and it does not suite your purpose they will take it back and return your money.
    May I suggest that you ask for their Catalogue. They have many ergonomical tools they refer to as "Enabling Tools." They have a toll free number, however I am not certain if it works from the U.S. 1-888-472-3266 Their regular phone number is 416-698-5339
    If you are American it will cost you almost 50% less because of the strength of the U.S. dollar against the Canadian dollar.
    Hope this information helps.
    To RUHl - Where about in the United Kingdom do you live, my daughter spent 5 years teaching Medical Law at the University of Birminham. In any case, I would like to thank you for your generous post. I hope that our people who need specially adjusted equipment will write and tell you about it, so perhaps you can really made a difference to this Forum. Do you mind telling me how you heard about our Forum.
    Thank you ever so much for the offer. Punky.