Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davehertle

Container plants on a ElectricCo box in yard

davehertle
12 years ago

I would like some feedback on ways to hide two large electrical transformers on both front corners of my yard. They are each about 2' high, 6' long and 1.5' wide, pale OD green in color. I want to smear some camo paint on them, but that got vetoed by the front office inside the house

Right now I am having some success surrounding them with daylilies and azaleas, but had a new thought.

The electric company has the easement to the boxes, but I thought I could build a shallow box that I could sit right on the transformers, then place container plants in the box that would spread out and cover the transformers. The purpose of the box would be to hide the outline of the transformer and to hold the containers on top so they don't get blown off during a storm. Everything could come down in a couple of minutes to allow access to the box.

I know I should check out what the Electical Company will demand, but in nearly 20 years, they have never visited these.

I am in Mid-Atlantic, zone 7a, and this is a full sun site. I am thinking I could have some shallow pans to hold water resting on the top of the transformers, also hidden by the box. Since this is above ground, this will be an early spot for warm roots to thrive, getting lots of heat and sun early in the spring.

I also know that come winter, I will need to put everything away, so annuals work. Right now I am thinking of Vinca Minor and Petunias, but would be open to suggestions of a flowering vine annual and would tend to grow out and down.

Has any one seen an attempt to make one of these transformers disappear from a yard?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH