Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container plants on a ElectricCo box in yard

Posted by davehertle 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 8:29

I would like some feedback on ways to hide two large electrical transformers on both front corners of my yard. They are each about 2' high, 6' long and 1.5' wide, pale OD green in color. I want to smear some camo paint on them, but that got vetoed by the front office inside the house
Right now I am having some success surrounding them with daylilies and azaleas, but had a new thought.

The electric company has the easement to the boxes, but I thought I could build a shallow box that I could sit right on the transformers, then place container plants in the box that would spread out and cover the transformers. The purpose of the box would be to hide the outline of the transformer and to hold the containers on top so they don't get blown off during a storm. Everything could come down in a couple of minutes to allow access to the box.

I know I should check out what the Electical Company will demand, but in nearly 20 years, they have never visited these.

I am in Mid-Atlantic, zone 7a, and this is a full sun site. I am thinking I could have some shallow pans to hold water resting on the top of the transformers, also hidden by the box. Since this is above ground, this will be an early spot for warm roots to thrive, getting lots of heat and sun early in the spring.

I also know that come winter, I will need to put everything away, so annuals work. Right now I am thinking of Vinca Minor and Petunias, but would be open to suggestions of a flowering vine annual and would tend to grow out and down.

Has any one seen an attempt to make one of these transformers disappear from a yard?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Container plants on a ElectricCo box in yard

We planted shrubs completely surrounding our box. You can't even see it. Every now and then we get a notice, but my husband ignores it. In over twenty years, no one has ever gotten into the box. If something happens and we have to pull a couple out we will, but so far so good.

o
RE: Container plants on a ElectricCo box in yard

I would contact the electrical co. first. It has to be readily accessible to them in case of emergency. A couple of minutes could cost someone their life or home!

Also fertilizers are highly corrosive and could damage the transformer. And covering it will interfere with heat dissipation which can cause it to fail, sometimes with an explosion! You may be held liable for the damage.

There is very high voltage going in to the transformer, it is dangerous! I am an electrician and over the years I have saw many transformers explode, it is not a pretty site.

o
Look at this,

http://fakerock.com/

o
RE: Container plants on a ElectricCo box in yard

Yeah, don't interfere with the performance of the transformers. They may be eyesores, but if something goes wrong, it's your home they'll probably affect first!

But I did see something that looked rather nice a year or so ago. The people bought some of those pre-made picket fence panels (30-36" tall, 6-8 ft long) (Lowes, Home Depot) and put them around the electrical boxes, and planted petunias at the base, all around. It looked like they left a foot of space all around the box.

It would also make sense to leave one side movable, so the box could be accessed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here