Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rwh1_gw

power tools?

rwh1
21 years ago

Do any of you out there have problems using electric or petrol power tools?

If so what are they? and why do you encounter these problems?

Comments (5)

• Cyniska
    21 years ago

My big problem is with pull-type starters for gas lawnmower and chain saw; it takes too many pulls to get them started - by the time I get them started I'm too tired to use them. The chain saw takes a lot of fiddling with the choke, priming, pulling... over and over... although the new one is a little easier to start than the old one was. Don't know why - new spark plugs don't seem to help. It must be my technique, because they start for the fellow at the shop where I bought them, which makes me feel REALLY stupid. I guess I just can't give them the sharp pull that they seem to need.

Also I got rid of my string trimmer because it made my back ache ( as well as being hard to start).

• ned_rag
    21 years ago

I have the same problems, especially with the weed trimmer, I get cramps for 2 days after using it. Wish there was a way to hook the trimmer to wheels, so it wouldn't be so heavy.

• sandman_max
    21 years ago

Just about all power garden tools tear my wrists to shreds. I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, one has been operated on but the vibration is HORRIBLE! I have to either tape them or put wrist braces on and then limit the use of the tools. Even the big lawn tractor vibrates too much to use it with unwrapped wrists.

I concur about the starters! I despise those pull cords! For all of my gardening history, I used electric tools until the I didn't have any choice (too far from plugs). I WISH they'd invent something that would make them easier to start.

Margaret

• Chef_Wil
    21 years ago

I might have a few suggestions about the mower. I have a KMart special that has a Briggs and Straiten motor with a pump primer. I love it. I don't even have a problem with the first start in the spring. One pull does it. As far as the other motors, I use starter fluid (aerosol either). One trick a friend of mine uses for vibration is pre-formed foam pipe insulation.
    I also saw somewhere a small version of the string mower. Looked like it would work pretty well as it moved on a ball with no other wheels. Sorry, I can't remember if it was an info-mercial or on-line.
    Happy gardening,
    Wil

• punky36
    21 years ago

Chef Wil - You are an inspiration. Always an idea of now to get around the probems we face. May I please ask a favour.
    I have just visited your cascading herb garden. Is it possible to either change the background or the colour of the font, as I find it impossible to read the way it is. The white writing is just perfect, however, when you change to
    black??? I am unable to see it at all. I tried to access the other site, but it would not open (not unusual for my computer) LOL !! Just one more question. Building a cascading fall here is impossible, however, I was wondering, do you think I might achieve a small portion of your results if I tried to plant the Herbs you mentiond in a bird bath, or are the herbs planted on the dry earth just on the sides. Thank you once again. Punky.