Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oakleif

What Would You Think?

oakleif
15 years ago

What would you think of us having a more conversation type forum like the thread on Tell us About Yourself.

for instance- Right now It is hot and sticky outside and i have super hard times breathing when i do anything outside and i wont give up watering and liquid fertilizing my flowers and veggies, so i take 2 watering cans out at a time and come back in and rest abt 15 min. than out i go again.

My daylilies are in full bloom and since they are in containers i've got them outside my LR window so i can look at them during the day. I get a sense of pride and peace just looking at them, any one else feel this way?

Of course anyone can still ask questions as usual. My opinion only but i think we especially need to talk about and get input on our special problems and needs as a part of our gardening needs.

I don't think the owners of GW would mind anyway but i'll bring it up to them if we decide we'd like a more conversation type threads.

What do you think?

Comments (2)

• valentinetbear
    15 years ago

After reporting the ad posted on this part of the forum (didn't realize how old it was until after reporting), I read a note from the owner(s)/(company?!) of this site, saying they don't have time to answer most e-mails.

I doubt they would mind, it's not like it's against any policy, and it's a nice idea.

On the other hand, being disabled and a gardener, I'm still not done getting the entire garden together, still! And, between insomnia, chores, and my other hobbies, I'm not seeing any free time to keep such a thread going.

I do like the idea. Earlier today, I discovered squirrels have been continuing to destroy much of the garden thru digging out soil in containers, including soil under some herbs just sprouting up (and the last of that variety of seeds, so can't be replaced), underneath our healthiest brussel sprout plant (they've already greatly wounded another one, so it is struggling enough to have produced 4 sprouts ready to be picked -- about all it will ever give us, and most plants produce 100-150 sprouts, and it ate through our 1 foot high fig tree -- the only tree in our back yard. The only reason I knew it wasn't done by a beaver, is because there are no beavers in Philadelphia.

This has also been a very hot day, after 4 days of much rain (enough that I had pull out four mushrooms growing under my Dwarf Lilac bush), so extremely humid, and I found out two of our patio tomato plant's leaves were turning yellow. Made me think they were either dying from too much rain, or lacking enough sunlight, since they were sitting in a red wagon (with holes in the bottom, so they weren't that water logged) in between two huge containers of tall tomato plants -- all living under the covering of fruit tree netting over fake bamboo stakes, to avoid the SOBs (squirrels) from eating our tomatoes. I had to move them, but it was just too hot and humid out, so hubby accidentally said something he wishes he could take back -- the netting isn't working since he often finds squirrels enjoying a quiet moment under the netting.

That was said before I discovered 6 BERs on one Roma plant, and the damage the squirrels had made to our herbs, produce, and flowers.

I burst out crying. I've put more work into this garden then my body can take, and it's mostly destroyed by the SOBs. Wanted to find people, who would understand the frustration, and understand how hard it is for me to know I will probably have to give up gardening -- at least annuals and produce because of effing squirrels!

With that, this would be a nice place to really converse, and yet, I still have more to do to get the garden finished for the year -- an oxymoron, and a bit silly knowing the SOBs will destroy whatever I do anyway.

Hows that for a convoluted, unpromising, but realistically unrealistic answer? LOL

• oakleif
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Valentinebear, Hey that post worked for me and i can empathise entirely. A suggestion on the dirty little squirrel scoundrels. Can you call animal controll to carry off the little buggers. You could always say you're afraid of them carrying rabies.For me it would be a true statement. At the least they might loan you a live trap and bait it for you and carry the little devils off to the woods somewhere.

Sometimes i'll think what am i punishing myself
    for? Than a new daylilly bud will open and it takes my breath away with its beauty or i eat a cuke i raised myself and i know its worth the pain for just a moment of pleasure to bannish the depression and pain of what i've gone thru .

We can.t give up living and turn into vegetable soup. We have to hang on for those moments that prove we're alive and fighters. And for those moments we give up for awhile.We can reach out for someone who understands and can turn on the light at the end of the tunnel. I know where you're coming from and you're going to come thru this. The person who wrote your blog on teddybears is too good a fighter to be down for long. I'm sorry you're going thru a tuff time right now. Hope things improve quickly.

I'm having more trouble breathing. Probably should see about setting up for oxygen supply but don't want to give in just yet. Just pure stubernness (SP) Still hot here. The tomatoes are taking their time ripening.DD sent me some of hers so my fresh tomato hunger has abated some. Looks like it'll rain. Good it'll keep those veggies happy and i wont have to water them. There is a down side to container gardening in that watering often is a nessesity.

I loved the last sentence in your post. Can i borrow it?
    vickie