Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do real ladies climb trees?

Posted by romanticdreamer z8 Seattle (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 12:48

Hi - First time on this forum and I came here looking to see how other people dealt with their aging bodies.

Let me preface this by saying that I am 68 years old. My husband is 78 years old and because he owns his own business and works 6 days a week, I do 98% of the gardening myself. He had a knee replaced last year and because he is scheduled for his third shoulder surgery next month, I try to keep him from doing too much as he's in constant pain right now.

Last year I climbed up about 25 feet into a tree with my little chain saw to thin out a tree that was giving me fits (I did it BEFORE my husband could tell me not to). A friend told me that "ladies our age don't climb trees". Kind of hurt my feelings... until I realized that because she hires everything done, she thinks I should do the same....not my style. I get a lot of satisfaction out of doing things myself and am convinced you either "use it or lose it".

This year I actually dreaded the onset of the gardening season (I'm a fair-weather gardener in our rainy Seattle area), and at first I could only do about an hour and a half, but once I got in the swing, I usually spend at least 4 hours a day. I try to take it easy on Wednesdays and Saturdays as those are the days we go dancing. Despite our age, younger people often ask if we are dance instructors or ask us to teach them to dance like we do. My husband is starting to like the slow dances more, but I love nothing better than dancing to 'Jump, Jive and Wail'. Although my back hurts 24/7 no matter what I do, the only time I don't hurt is when I'm dancing. Sometimes I hurt so bad I tell my husband to just get me to a dance floor and I'll be OK.....

I'm 5'4" and 116 pounds, pretty severe scoliosis and arthritis in my back, but if I can still climb trees, clean the gutters, lift, tote and all the things necessary to gardening, I'd rather do it that sit and read a book or watch TV which also makes my back hurt! So, I do as much as I can do, then hobble into the house, lay down for an hour and get up to fix dinner. I try not to take too many pills, but we all know that sometimes it's absolutely necessary. As soon as I loosen up the next morning, I'm usually good to go.

I've pretty much given up on doctors..seems all they can do is prescribe some pill that will probably kill you and I won't even think about back surgery unless/until it's absolutely necessary. The last time my husband took me to the Emergency Room when I was screaming in pain and could barely walk, they took a bunch of x-rays and gave me two prescriptions for pills that I was already taking that didn't do any good....go figure! I was able to walk in leaning on my husband's arm, but when it was time to go home, I couldn't take a single step, so they got a wheelchair to get to the car. Guess I didn't have the right kind of cadillac insurance policy. Can't help believe that it's only going to get worse with the new Obama-Care.

Please don't take any of this as bragging...I'm a definite 'Type A' personality and don't advise anyone to abuse their bodies the way I do, but hopefully some will be encouraged to just "keep on keepin' on". I just happen to think that if we expect life to be pain-free, we were born on the wrong planet. As long as I can stay active, I'd much rather do that and then slide into the Pearly Gates yellin' "WHAT A RIDE"!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do real ladies climb trees?

I think I'd have fits about anyone who climbed up 25' into a tree with a chainsaw who didn't also have a safety harness and a rope with a snap-on for the chainsaw. You could have wrecked the tree if you'd fallen!

You probably have already tried glucosamine for your gnarly joints. It's not a miracle pill by any stretch (and, if you're allergic to shellfish, it may be a non-starter) yet I know someone who has a very steep section and damaged knees from years of contracting work who has found it of great benefit.

Our climate can also be somewhat damp (gross understatement). Rather than simply crawl away and hide for the winter I have a sun porch, access to a tunnel house, and my potting bench is under cover. The tunnel house is great. I love listening to the rain outside while I fossick away and learn the craft of gardening with low light/low temperatures.

You're not too old at all. My mum is 89 and she does those things, too (except climb trees;-)) ) Just - don't be too proud to call for the extra pair of hands. It can be good to be working with a like-minded person that you get along with. And, if you shop together, or visit each other's garden - you can share or exchange plants and make stocking your garden quite a bit cheaper.

Keep going. You're good for at least another twenty years!

o

"I think I'd have fits about anyone who climbed up 25' into a tree with a chainsaw who didn't also have a safety harness and a rope with a snap-on for the chainsaw."

I thought the same thing. Your awfully brave to go up a tree let alone with a chain saw. Gives me the vapors just thinking about it!

My DH has a history of back injuries so we bought an inversion table. We are going to get a hot tub to work out the other knots.

You might consider eating more foods that reduce inflammation for your arthritis.

Best of health (and luck!) to you and your DH for at least another 20 yrs!

A link that might be useful:

bodyecology.com/articles/top_ten_foods_that_prevent_inflammation.php#.UHthHhysFZc

o

Also need to know that.

o

You are my kind of hero! Keep fighting, that's the spirit!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Accessible Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here