Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finchelover

How do you carry around your tools

finchelover
16 years ago

I read somewhere that gardeners were storing their tools in different areas so they don't have to carry them; everywhere. I have several flower areas and that is a big problem for me,I had to kees replaced,have artritis,diabetic and now something wrong with my upper thigh. Do you use large buckets upside to store long clippers,what about rake or spade. I do use alot of handicape tools that are a god send. I just wish I could store some somehow in back of the house etc. Suggestions please.

Comments (12)

• oakleif
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have a wheelbarrow I haul all the tools i think i might need and use it to haul anything else i want to move. I have a table on my front porch i store small tools and a shed for my hoes etc. Could you keep your smaller tools in an ice chest outside and your hoes hanging on nails or hooks on your back walls with a tarp over them on other nails or a solid plywood sheet in front of them.
    or do you want something more pleasing to the eye like a tall cabinet against your wall with a door? Do you have someone to do little jobs like that?
    Hope i gave you an idea.
    vickie

• finchelover
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oakleif I would like to put my smaller tools in something to leave in north of house but don't want the weather get them. I found a bag I think I can use but have to figure how to close the top so water won't get into it. Your suggestion of a tharp may be a good idea also.

• valentinetbear
    16 years ago

I cheat! I only container garden, and, since my backyard is 16' X 16', when using them and I'm thinking, I put them on our picnic table in the middle of the yard. (No further then 4 feet from where I am, since I have containers in front of containers, or really big containers.) When I'm not thinking, I leave them a foot from where I was and have to search for them the next moment I need them. LOL

Now, being a container gardener, my tools are gloves, scissors, two trowels (one for digging into the soil and the other one for digging a thin hole to put a plant in), a cultivar, (I always call them little hand rakes, but wasn't sure anyone else would understand my terminalogy! LOL) and a small pruner. (Will need a bigger one next year, when my little one foot fig tree needs to be reshaped.) A couple of years ago, I bought a homemade wooden toolbox to grow plants in, but it's become my toolbox now. Besides the regular tools, I carry an assortment of pipe cleaners to tie up plants, hopefully in the same colors as the flowers or fruits, although those red ones in my tomatoes keep making me think there are rip tomatoes in there. LOL I also carry a pair of scissors and string, just in case the latest storm has flattened my tomatoes or phlox.

Now, at the moment, I keep them in a child's wooden toy box, after spending last winter rubbing several layers of wax on and in it, but it just isn't made for outdoor use, so I don't know if it will even last through this winter.

I do suggest container gardening for those of us, whose disabilities limit movement, since containers cut down on the amount of weeding needed, can be moved about, so can be closer to get to and pushed in the back when the plants in them have finished their flowering, and, thankfully not as much leaning over for watering or deadheading as growing in the ground.

If you just can't let go of ground gardening, hubby just found a "vertical storage shed" from Tupperware online. Looks like a great place to store soil ammendments, containers, and small tools without hogging space.

As for traveling with your tools in a plastic bag, how about considering one of those five gallon painter's buckets? (The link below shows some I bought specifically for gardening, but you can buy the same kind at Home DePots or Lowe's. The best picture is midway down on the first column of pictures, abnd shows mint in with tomatoes.) They come with lids, and you can actually buy tool belts that wrap around them! When you aren't gardening, just put the belt in the bucket and put the lid back on. Chances are good, no one will steal it, simply because they are cheap, and too easy to get for free already. LOL

Of course, my entire gardening experience with front yard gardening consist of two huge planters on either end of my sidewalk. The sidewalk IS my front yard -- at least the sidewalk next to my outbound steps.

Gotta tell ya! We didn't move into this house when we were disabled, but, man, it is the perfect house for someone, who is both disabled and addicted to gardening. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Garden Gems

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

I read about a good idea somewhere. They recommended using a plastic garbage can with wheels to wheel taller gardening tools around like rakes, hoes or shovels. I would put an S hook on the edge and hang a bag with smaller tools inside. The 5 gallon buckets are also a great idea. Click on the link to see what one of the pocket organizers look like. What is cool is you can put the cover on a 5 gallon bucket and sit on it! If it can handle me, it can handle anyone. Just make sure you have a handy long tool to hang onto to stand up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Bucket Organizer

• juliebw
    16 years ago

I bought a Hugo wheeled walker at WalMart this year for $115. It has a nice little seat, and quite a deep storage compartment below it. The longer tools I can balance on it in various ways. I also have an old mailbox out by the garden where I keep a few things like pruner and trowel.

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

Good idea, juliebw! I have heard of the mailbox as a tool storage unit at various sites that give tips for people with disabilies who love to garden. I bet if it was painted with flowers it would make a great addition to the garden too!

• landscapedesigner200
    16 years ago

if its small hand tools you could but a decorative mailbox in the yard to leave the tools in.

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

I use the cat sand containers from Costco. They are tough and will handle the loppers, seeds, hand tools, gloves, a bottle of water and maybe some sunscreen. Another item I use is the folding cart with telescopic handle shown at link

Here is a link that might be useful: Folding Cart

• dene_2007
    16 years ago

In reading the replies I thought about a golf bag on wheels. (not a golfer so don't know what it is called). Anyway it is made for rolling, can handle long handles & could have hooks or bags attached to it for smaller items. It can be rolled with one hand. Never tried one but thought I would pass on the idea. I have one of the garden wagons with inflated tires and it is great for big heavy loads over all kinds of soil most of the time. Easier than balancing a big wheelbarrow loaded up for someone small like me.

• susaninthegarden
    15 years ago

i got a wheeled cooler to sit on and haul garden stuff around. i dont see why it cant be used to store small tools as well. its cheap, easy to find, and doubles as a rolling garden chair.

• Belgianpup
    15 years ago

I saw a cute little shed in someone's garden that looked like a 'one-holer' outhouse, complete with quarter-moon window in the door. Perfect for garden tools and small equipment.

On the other hand, wherever my tools are, they always seem to be as far from where I need them as possible.

Sue

• spicyginger
    15 years ago

Hi,

I use a carpenters tool belt to carry my small tools on me and just hang it in the back room. For bigger tools I use a radio flyer wagon and haul them around.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting